Marquette, Butler face off in year-long blood battle

Photo by Alex DeBuhr
Butler is currently ahead of Marquette in the blood drive competition.

Marquette and Butler universities kick off their inaugural blood drive competition in collaboration with Versiti Blood Centers. The event began Sept. 1 and stretches until the end of the academic year, allowing each university’s students, staff, faculty and communities multiple opportunities to participate in the rivalry.

Butler is currently in the lead with 135 units, compared to Marquette’s 100, according to Versiti’s Blood Battle Leaderboard. Approximately one pint is drawn each donation, per Versiti’s Blood Donation process; one unit is comparable one pint. While the competition heats up, university leaders haven’t lost sight of the true goal of the competition.

“Donating blood is one of the most vital ways we bring our mission for others to life,” Michael Lovell, president of Marquette University, said in a statement. “This friendly competition with Butler University is an opportunity to highlight the servant leadership on our campus. I strongly encourage the Marquette community to get involved in this critical endeavor.”

With Lovell’s focus on community strengthening, Butler University President James Danko seems to have a similar message.

“There is nothing like a competitive challenge between two great BIG EAST foes to get the blood flowing, both metaphorically speaking and in actuality,” Danko said in a statement. “We know there are many patients in need of blood within our Indianapolis community, and I have no doubt our Butler community will come up big for those in need.”

Versiti advocates that donating blood is easy and important, stating that the donation process in total takes around an hour and that drawing the amount of blood is safe due to the body’s natural replenishing abilities.
“It helps cancer patients, surgeries, chronic illnesses, just anybody who needs a blood donation in Milwaukee, the blood comes from Versiti,” Aniya Toles, Versiti Milwaukee associate account representative, said. “We need actual donors to donate blood, we can’t make it in our labs.”
Versiti services more than 145 hospitals across Wisconsin and Indiana, while also maintaining the status of primary blood drive partner to both universities. Toles added that each donation can save up to three lives, and donors will be alerted via email where their blood is being used.
With this direct impact on hospitals in the Milwaukee area, Versiti president and CEO Chris Miskel, who is also a Butler alum, adds to the level of important events like this have on each universities respective community.
“This competition comes at a time where blood is especially needed in our communities,” Miskel, president and CEO of Versiti said. “We are thrilled both campus communities are passionate about making a positive difference and cannot wait to see the life-saving results from this competition.”
Through one drive, each university has reached at least a fifth of the competition’s original goal of 500 units per school, Butler leading the way with 27%, and Marquette close behind at 20%. With this goal exceeding turnout, around 100 Marquette community members have come together to support their university and surrounding community.
“It helps people,” Elijah Novak, a sophomore in the College of Arts & Sciences and first time blood donor, said. “You might be saving lives, so that’s cool.”
While Novak attributed the life saving importance of blood donations to his decision to participate, he added further motive for his contribution.
“I also have a friend that goes to Butler and I understand there’s a competition between Marquette and Butler and I didn’t wanna lose,” Novak said.
As of now, the only prize for victory is bragging rights, while Marquette Today states that any potential wagers between universities will be announced at a later date. Donating at three select blood drives on each campus will earn you an opportunity to receive an exclusive Butler vs. Marquette competition T-shirt, and at all drives will be a variety of thank-you gifts, including a $10 e-gift card with the ability to choose from over 70 different merchants including Amazon, Starbucks and Uber. 
Marquette’s next blood drive is scheduled for Nov. 30 from 12 p.m. to 6 p.m. at the Alumni Memorial Union Centennial Room, 227. All students, faculty and staff are eligible to register. Specific information on the donation process can be accessed through Versiti’s donation process website.
This story was written by Kevin Fitzpatrick. He can be reached at [email protected]