Activities promote love, giving

Photo by Jordan Johnson
The Milwaukee Art Museum will host a three course meal and exhibit walk Feb. 14 to celebrate Valentine’s Day.

Whether it’s going out to a fancy dinner, getting some exercise or giving to those in need, Milwaukee has a variety of events for people looking for fun ways to share the love with family and friends this Valentine’s Day.

Hearts Under Glass

The Mitchell Park Horticultural Conservatory invites people to walk through the dimly lit domes this Valentine’s Day for the special “Hearts Under Glass” event Feb. 14 from 6-9 p.m. Refreshments including cocktails, light entrees and desserts can be purchased from Zilli’s Hospitality Group and Crumby Art Bakehouse & Cakery.

Guests can enter a raffle to win tickets to Art in the Green, a membership for two to the Mitchell Park Horticultural Conservatory, Kendra Scott Jewelry or a gift card to Ray’s Growler Gallery. Art in the Green is another event in the Domes, featuring local and regional artists. Ray’s Growler Gallery is a wine and spirits shop located in Wauwatosa, Wisconsin.

There will also be a light show, the annual Train Show in the Show Dome and live music in the Desert Dome.

Admission is $10 per person, and tickets can be purchased online, in the Domes Gift Shop or at the door the day of the event.

Milwaukee Art Museum Valentine’s Day Dinner

Also on Feb. 14, the Milwaukee Art Museum will be having a dinner and a walk in the Modern Vision exhibition at the museum at 5:30 p.m.  The three course meal includes many options including a fennel citrus salad, petit beef filet, smoked mashed potatoes, matcha mochi cake and more.  Vegan and gluten-free options are also available.

With the  museum artwork, good food, along with the calming scenery of the lake, the Milwaukee Art Museum is an exceptional option for spending Valentine’s Day.

Honeypie Palentine’s Day Dinner with Central Standard Distillery

Honeypie Cafe and Central Standard Distillery are coming together to host a special Valentine’s Day Dinner Feb. 12 from 6-9 p.m. at Honeypie Cafe in Milwaukee. There will be four courses made by executive chefs and managing partners Erick Disbrow and Derek Peterson of Honeypie and Palomino, Honeypie’s sister cafe. Cocktails and expressions from Central Standard Distillery and desserts from Honeypie Cafe will also be served. 

Jennifer Merrigan, an employee at Honeypie Cafe, said there will be a wide variety of food. She said some of the dishes include a charcuterie plate, arugula salad, a flat iron steak, crab cakes and treats from the Honeypie bakeshop.

“There will be really great food. … The courses will also be served with cocktails or expressions,” Merrigan said. “Guests will get a little taste of Milwaukee at this event.”

Tickets are $65 and can be bought online.

Honeypie Pie-Making Session

Aside from the Honeypie Palentine’s Dinner, Honeypie will also be hosting its own pie-making session Wednesday from 6-8:30 p.m at Palomino.

This year, guests will be able to make mini chocolate and cherry pies. Guests will have the opportunity to learn how to make pie crust and decorate their sweet treats. Tickets are $45 and can be purchased via Eventbrite.

Honeypie’s co-owner and executive pie-maker Valeri Lucks will lead the session, providing tips and tricks to those in attendance.

Merrigan said there will be a short Q&A session at the end, and participants can take their pies home after.

“It’s a great hands-on experience for people to learn how to make their own pies, and they can ask any questions that they have,” Merrigan said.

Partner Yoga

No experience is needed for anyone interested in trying partner yoga this Valentine’s Day.

The Delaware House, a community of independent business serving ways to take care of the mind, body and spirit including yoga, therapy and acupuncture, will be holding a session Friday from 7-8:30 p.m.   

The event is open to anyone 16 and older. During this yoga session, participants will learn different seated, standing, balancing and basic AcroYoga, an exercise that combines acrobatics and yoga poses.

Keep your heart strong and healthy this Valentine’s Day by trying partner yoga.

Valentine’s Cupid Training Run

For those interested in looking for more adventurous activities, Milwaukee’s Race Place will be hosting its Valentine’s-themed Cupid Training Run. Runners can choose their distance — 5k, 10k or half-marathon — and their course around Milwaukee.

It is an individual virtual run, meaning participants run at their own time and pace but can view results online after the event.

After the event, participants will receive a “swag bag” with this year’s themed run shirt, a box of Ferrero chocolates, runner’s goodies, an optional customizable running bib and a finisher’s medal.

RHA Blood Drive

For students, staff and faculty on campus, Marquette’s Residence Hall Association will host two all-campus blood drives Feb. 20 from 10 a.m.-3 p.m. and Feb. 21 from 2-7 p.m. in AMU 157 and 163. Every year the physician assistant program hosts a blood drive. This year, they are teaming up with RHA to do the Marquette all-campus blood drive.

Bailee Hall, a first-year graduate student in the College of Health Sciences, said the drive is an opportunity to give back to those in need this Valentine’s Day.

“A Marquette student who was in a really bad car accident, and her story has to do with how she received blood transfusions and was able to recover from her injuries,” Hall said.

The blood drive is in support of people just her who may be suffering from any health conditions relating to the heart and blood.

Hall said this event is a way to show love this Valentine’s season.

“Valentine’s Day is all about love and giving, and giving blood is an act of love because it can help save someone’s life,” Hall said.

This story was written by Skyler Chun. She can be reached at [email protected].