JOURNAL: Activities to spring into

Photo by Josh Meitz
As the weather gets warmer, students look for more outdoor activities to try.

As we say goodbye to winter and cooler temperatures, Marquette University students may be ready to welcome spring and all the outdoor activities that come with it.

“I am looking forward to seeing leaves on trees again, the grass no longer being covered in snow, and seeing colorful flowers around campus. I also can’t wait to take walks around the Lake Michigan shore,” Ella Nghiem said, a first-year in the College of Health Sciences.

“I’m excited for the weather to get warmer so I can spend more time outside running on the RiverWalk alongside the Milwaukee River,” Olivia Egle said, a first-year in the College of Arts & Sciences.

If the weather takes a little while longer to get on board with your pending outdoor plans, there are plenty of indoor activities available around Milwaukee to partake in.

I am looking forward to seeing leaves on trees again, the grass no longer being covered in snow, and seeing colorful flowers around campus …

— Ella Nghiem

Mitchell Park Horticultural Conservatory, known as The Domes, can also be an option for people who want to enjoy some natural beauty even if its colder outside. Visitors can see the desert, tropical, or floral show domes. Student tickets are available for $6. There’s also an additional one dollar discount option for anyone who can show proof of being a resident of Milwaukee County.

Museums are one way to see more of what Milwaukee in spring has to offer if the temperatures outside are still a little too cool for comfort. Just a couple blocks from Straz Tower, the Milwaukee Public Museum is a short walk from campus.

A natural and human history museum with both permanent and rotating exhibits, students can get a ticket for $18.

For those more interested in checking out some artwork, the Grohmann Museum has paintings and sculptures dating back to 1580 as well as their current “Man at Work” collection. Tickets for the Grohmann Museum are $3 for students.

Additionally, the Milwaukee Art Museum has a permanent collection as well as their current spring “Art in Bloom” exhibit. The “Art in Bloom” exhibit will extend from April 7-10. Students can buy tickets online to explore the Milwaukee Art Museum for $17.

Through April 9, students can also check out the Milwaukee Winter Farmer’s Market. Located at GATHER at Deer District, the Milwaukee Winter Farmer’s Market offers produce and dairy products as well as baked goods and a variety of global cuisine.

Another opportunity to explore this upcoming spring is the Milwaukee Film Festival, which will run from April 21 through May 5. Ticket packages are available for purchase online. For $75, a non-member can get six vouchers that can be exchanged for general admissions tickets to films offered at the Milwaukee Film Festival.

If you’re looking for something not too far from campus, you can head to the Historic Third Ward to check out the Milwaukee Public Market and restaurants like Café Benelux.

Students can also head to Brady Street, a Milwaukee hallmark known for a wide variety of multicultural cuisine, such as Greek food at the Apollo Café, Middle Eastern food at Casablanca Restaurant, and Latin-American food at La Masa Empanada Bar.

Just because the weather may not be consistently warmer yet doesn’t mean we can’t “spring” into this new season! Milwaukee has plenty of options for those looking to check out all this city has to offer. Whether you are someone who would love the chance to explore an art museum or someone who would prefer to take advantage of all the shopping and dining options the Third Ward has to offer, there’s something for everyone to explore in Milwaukee in spring.

This story was written by Emilee Gregory. She can be reached at [email protected].