Several Milwaukee landmarks will reopen this month

Photo by Isabel Bonebrake
The Milwaukee Public Museum reopened March 4 and is open Thursdays through Sundays from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

After being closed for nearly a year, students can once again head down to the recently reopened Milwaukee Public Museum, Milwaukee Art Museum and the Harley-Davidson Museum after getting approval from city health officials. A mask will be required for everybody upon entry.

Milwaukee Public Museum

The Milwaukee Public Museum offers 150,000 square feet of a variety of different exhibits, including over four million specimens.

The museum reopened March 4 and is open Thursdays through Sundays from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. President and CEO of the museum, Dr. Ellen Censky, said in a press release that they have set up proper precautions in order to ensure a safe experience for both visitors and staff.

Tickets for the Milwaukee Public Museum cost $18 for students and can be purchased online.

Harley-Davidson Museum

As of March 5, the Harley-Davidson Museum is also open. Fridays through Sundays from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. the museum and gift store will be available to all. The museum has also unveiled a new exhibit called “Off-Road Harley-Davidson,” which tells the stories of people who have ridden Harley-Davidson motorcycles and the good times they had.

Tickets can be purchased for $16 through its website.

Milwaukee Art Museum

Students can also head back to the Milwaukee Art Museum, which is open to the public Fridays through Sundays from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tickets for that can be found online, and admission is $17 for students.

“Throughout this pandemic, the Milwaukee Art Museum has learned a great deal from other museums about how to reopen and safely welcome guests,” Marcelle Polednik, director of the museum, said in a press release.

Polednik said their reopening is one more way they can support the community and reflect the importance of Milwaukee’s cultural organizations.

The art museum features 30,000 works of art and has free audio guides you can listen to while on your visit to help guide you through it.

All three of these places are subject to close at the order of the Milwaukee Health Department. Students and other visitors will have access to sanitation stations throughout the museums and are required to comply with standard COVID-19 protocols, including wearing masks.

While these three museums are open now, there are two other attractions that are expected to open very soon.

Discovery World

Located right next to the Milwaukee Art Museum, Discovery World will be opening its doors on March 27. President and CEO Bryan Wunar said he’s looking forward to getting back to normalcy.

“It’s time to open our doors so that we can continue fulfilling our missions of connecting families with fun and educational learning experiences,” Wunar said in a press release.

Milwaukee Artist Resource Network

The Milwaukee Artist Resource Network announced in a press release last month it will be opening a new arts and culture hub in the Third Ward. MARN has a purpose of supporting the art community around the 414 and in southeastern Wisconsin. This new hub will help the local art market post-COVID-19.

With plans to open sometime this year, MARN CEO Mal Montoya says that the space will feature a coffee and wine bar, a marketplace for artists to submit works for sale, a conference center for different events and an innovation studio that focuses on the collaboration of art and technology.

“Milwaukee is a city of museums, with visitors filling our galleries from all over Wisconsin, the U.S. and even the world,” Censky said. The re-openings of all of these facilities brings Milwaukeeans hope that things will return to normal soon.

This story was written by Quinn Faeth. He can be reached at [email protected].