Paschall, Booth provide challenges for No. 10 Golden Eagles on National Marquette Day

Photo by Helen Dudley

Photo by Helen Dudley

Photo by Helen Dudley

No. 10 Marquette men’s basketball might have its biggest challenge at Fiserv Forum Saturday, hosting No. 14 Villanova, who sits at the top of the BIG EAST, four days after MU’s first loss at Fiserv Forum.

Villanova lost most of the key contributors from its national championship team, but Eric Paschall and Phil Booth are returning along with the addition of freshman Saddiq Bey and the development of Collin Gillespie and Dhamir Cosby-Roundtree has prompted another season of Wildcat success.

“They hit 12 threes a game. So, if you let them get to that number, you’re going to have a really hard time beating them,” Marquette head coach Steve Wojciechowski said.

Villanova has also hit 71 percent of its free throws.

“They’ve made as many free throws as their opponents have shot. I think that’s indicative of how hard they drive the ball,” Wojciechowski said.

Paschall and Booth have combined to average 35.6 points per game.

“Both those kids have shown unbelievable leadership throughout the course of the season,” Wojciechowski said. “Unfortunately it’s not a two-man team. The rest of their guys have really stepped up their game, especially in conference play.”

Paschall will likely provide a tough presence from the post. The 6-foot-8 forward averages 6.3 rebounds per game and 17.3 points per game. He also has amassed nine blocks and 21 steals in the season. He has provided an offensive threat from across the floor, shooting 46 percent from the field and 36 percent from three, which will give Ed Morrow and Theo John plenty of work to do Saturday.

“(Morrow’s) toughness, his competitiveness, obviously his presence by the basket, those are all big positives for our program,” Wojciechowski said. “He played for an outstanding coach and high school program where winning was the norm.”

Saturday is a chance for Marquette to win against Villanova for the first time since the Jan. 2017 court-storm.  The Wildcats have the 23-10 lead over the Golden Eagles in a series which dates back to 1960 and Villanova head coach Jay Wright has the 6-1 advantage over Wojciechowski.

1 Comment

One Response to “Paschall, Booth provide challenges for No. 10 Golden Eagles on National Marquette Day”

1. dave wunderlich on February 9th, 2019 3:49 pm

Great work announcing the super victory today over an outstanding Villanova team! I listened to the game via your radio station WUR and all three of you were fantastic! Lots of interesting stats and numbers, player personalities, and most of all, your enthusiasm and enjoyment broadcasting the basketball game! (I didn’t quite hear the two gentlemen’s names but i did hear a “Joey” and then i understood it to be Zoey. 🙂 … (I’m hard of hearing:) I hope to listen more often. You’ve a very good team. Howard is something special. And i have always been a fan of Marquette University. I watched your school play many years vs. Miami University (Ohio) in a NCAA regional tournament. (The days of Al McGuire!!!)
    Thanks again for an exciting game all of three of you!

• Paschall, Booth provide challenges for No. 10 Golden Eagles on National Marquette Day

BREAKING: Hauser brothers leave Marquette men’s basketball

Howard returns for his senior year

Howard named to AP All-America Second Team

Teammates embrace Howard’s 30-point performances

Historic performance from Ja Morant brings abrupt end to Marquette’s postseason run

Hauser brothers bring competitiveness to NCAA Tournament

Chris Paul camp attendees square off in first round of March Madness

Singing On

A Chart, a Globe and a Shoebox

Men’s basketball earns No. 5 seed in NCAA Tournament, will face Murray State