Marquette beats Creighton in penalty kicks, advances to BIG EAST Championship

Photo by Jordan Johnson

Photo by Jordan Johnson

For the second consecutive round of the BIG EAST Championships, Marquette kept its season alive with a win in a penalty shootout, this time defeating No. 17 Creighton in Omaha, Nebraska, Wednesday night.

After 12 rounds of penalty kicks, junior Josh Coan scored the final penalty kick to send Marquette to the BIG EAST Championship match for the first time in five years.

In the first half, it was a defensive struggle until the 23nd minute. Luke Haakenson scored the first goal of the game for the Bluejays. Two minutes later, Marquette answered back with a goal from junior midfielder Luka Prpa.

Marquette senior goalkeeper Luis Barraza made three first-half saves, including an incredible save in the 27th minute. He saved a Creighton shot with his hands just inches from being inside the goal.

Following 65 minutes of play, including two extra-time periods, the score remained 1-1. The Golden Eagles’ went into penalty kicks for the second consecutive game after beating Xavier Saturday 7-6 in penalty kicks.

There were six ties after the fifth round until Coan scored the game-winning penalty kick to give Marquette a 10-9 advantage.

Head coach Louis Bennett and his team heads to Washington D.C. to play against Georgetown Sunday. The Golden Eagles will seek the BIG EAST title with an NCAA Tournament berth on the line.