LGBTQ+ Resource Center searching for new coordinator

Photo by Kate Holstein
The LGBTQ Resource Center in the Alumni Memorial Union. Marquette Wire Stock Photo

The LGBTQ+ Resource Center, located in the Alumni Memorial Union, is searching for a new coordinator while temporarily under the leadership of Jennifer Perdomo, a graduate assistant coordinator who volunteered for the position this fall. 

Two undergraduate assistants, Joenny Lopez Cuevas, a senior in the College of Arts & Sciences, and Samantha Perez, a sophomore in the College of Arts & Sciences, work alongside Perdomo in the counseling center.

Due to Perdomo’s qualifications as a graduate assistant, she said she is unofficially the one taking charge, with a collective effort from the Center for Intercultural Engagement.

Perdomo said the center is keen on making the public more aware of its presence. 

“I’m looking forward to making the center more diverse, having open houses and making it more aware to the public eye,” Perdomo said.

Enrique Tejeda III, the former coordinator of the program, recently left the leadership position, creating an uncertainty towards the leadership this semester, Perdomo said. Despite this, Perdomo said she is hopeful for the center’s future. 

“Undergraduate time can be hard for students for many reasons, including exploring their sexuality,” Perdomo said. “We want everyone to know that the center is a resource available for them.”

Perdomo said the center recently started looking at applications for a coordinator and is planning on conducting interviews during which members of the LGBTQ community can question potential candidates and help with the decision-making process.

In terms of leadership, Perdomo said each year brings about new changes and the center is ready to embrace these changes.

Jayla Hill, a senior in the College of Arts & Sciences, said she has been a volunteer for the center since her sophomore year.

“I just have a passion for social justice and any spaces that allow for people of underrepresented backgrounds to be more comfortable,” Hill said. “I’m grateful for the graduate and undergraduate assistants in the center who are truly keeping it afloat.”

October is LGBT History Month, during which Perdomo said she is planning on having a showing of the film “KiKi.” It will be shown Oct. 26 in the Weasler Auditorium at 7 p.m.

“It’s a powerful documentary about modern-day ballroom culture and the lives of a group of LGBTQ youth,” Perdomo said. “I think the film will be enjoyable and informative for all students on campus and encourage everyone to come.”

Krystal Chao, a junior in the College of Health Sciences, said she attended the LGBTQ+ spiritual service last year.

“I found it to be very powerful, so I’m hoping they have more public events like it in the future,” Chao said. 

Perdomo said the center plans on having panel discussions, community lunches and an open house Oct. 6 to welcome and foster an open community.