October – February Calendar

Milwaukee Film Festival

The Milwaukee Film Festival is screening more than 300 films at various theaters in the downtown Milwaukee area, such as the Oriental Theatre and Avalon Theater. The event runs Oct. 18 to Nov. 1. Along with watching movies, attendees can also engage with filmmakers and talk with other movie lovers.

Mystery at MPM

The Milwaukee Public Museum is hosting the Mystery at MPM event Oct. 19 at 7:30 p.m. Teams of two to eight people will put their detective skills to the test as they interview suspects and solve riddles to find a lost artifact in the museum.

The Milwaukee Winter Farmers Market

The Milwaukee Winter Farmers Market is opening for their 10th season Nov. 3. It is open through March 30. Admission to the market is free and hours of operation are from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. The market will be held in the Greenhouse Annex at the Mitchell Park Domes. There will be about 50 weekly vendors offering high quality foods and treats.

Community Engagement Symposium

The Office of Community Engagement at Marquette is hosting the Community Engagement Symposium 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. in the Alumni Memorial Union Nov. 13. This all-day event encourages students and faculty to engage with organizations to learn about tools necessary to strengthen relationships and build new community networks. Online registration is due by Nov. 6.

Holiday Folk Fair International

The Holiday Folk Fair International will host their 75th annual event from Nov. 16 to Nov. 18. Admission costs $12 at the gate. At the event, visitors can explore over 50 different cultures through music, food, dance and art. The festival aims to bring together a community of different beliefs, languages and stories. The theme for this year is “Celebrate the Culture of Diversity.”

Milwaukee Holiday Lights Festival

The Milwaukee Holiday Lights Festival will return for its 20th season, running from Nov. 15 to Jan. 1. It will begin with a kick-off event Nov. 16 with a variety show and fireworks as well as a tree lighting near City Hall. Other events include a jingle bus ride and a “Cocoa with the Clauses.”

Marquette University Symphony Orchestra presents “Symphony for the Season!”

Marquette University’s symphony orchestra is presenting its annual holiday show in the Varsity Theatre on campus Dec. 2. The show is a composition of the university’s chorus, gospel choir, jazz ensembles, symphony band and wind ensemble. Admission is free. Song selections include Tchaikovsky’s “The Nutcracker” and Irving Berlin’s “White Christmas.”

Basketball Game: Marquette vs. UW-Madison

Show your golden eagle pride Dec. 8 by supporting men’s basketball as the team goes head-to-head with rival UW-Madison. The game will begin at 4 p.m. at the Fiserv Forum.

Yoga at the Milwaukee Art Museum

Join omTown Yogis for a yoga session at the Milwaukee Art Museum Dec. 15 8:15 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. Doors open at 7:45 a.m. Register online with a $15 donation that goes toward the museum and omTown Yogis. The class is open to all levels, and participants should bring their own mats.

Chili Bowl

The Potawatomi Hotel & Casino is hosting the 13th annual Chili Bowl Jan. 27, from 12 a.m. to 4 p.m. Some of Milwaukee’s best chefs and restaurants are competing for best chili and the Golden Ladle Award. By reserving in advance, visitors can taste test a wide range of chilis from vegetarian chili to sweet potato chili.

Anime Milwaukee

Beginning as a college anime club meeting, the Anime Milwaukee convention is returning for its 11th year Feb. 15. The three-day event is held in the Hyatt Regency Milwaukee and will continue through Feb. 17. Visitors can immerse themselves in Asian culture through outlets such as anime and gaming.

“Image of an Unknown Young Woman”

The university’s theater program will be presenting “Image of an Unknown Young Woman” from Feb. 15 to Feb. 24 on select days throughout the weeks. The play will be performed at the Helfaer Theatre on campus. The play focuses on the societal and social issues that arise after a video of a woman being shot goes viral. It is suggested for mature audiences.