Vehicle hits, injures student on 17th and Wells streets

Grace Connaster
Photo by Jennifer Walter
Marquette University Police Department responds to the situation at 17th and Wells, where a student was hit by a vehicle.

A female student was hit by a vehicle on the corner of 17th and Wells Street around 7:30 p.m. Thursday.

The student remains conscious and was taken to a local hospital with non-life threatening injuries, according to a university statement. The statement said there is no threat to campus.

The Marquette University Police Department responded to the incident. MUPD Lt. Joe Erwin said Friday that the student was treated and released, and she is recovering at home.

Erwin said the incident is currently under investigation and no citations have been issued. He said the driver of the vehicle remained at the scene and is cooperating with the investigation.

Jenna Shanner, a sophomore in the College of Business Administration, said she witnessed the incident. Shanner said she saw the vehicle turn from 17th Street onto Wells Street, hitting the victim as she crossed the street on the side of the crosswalk.

Megan Smikla, a sophomore in the College of Communication who also said she witnessed the incident, said she saw the victim hit the vehicle’s windshield, fly up and land on the ground. Smikla also said she believes the student was hit by a Domino’s Pizza driver in a black car.

A manager at the Domino’s located near 7th Street and W. Wisconsin Avenue said the store is unaware of any driver-involved incidents.

This story is developing.