Demolition of 3 buildings, 1 parking structure on campus starts tomorrow

Marquette+Wire+Stock+Photo.+
Marquette Wire Stock Photo.

Three buildings and one parking structure on campus’ west side will start to be torn down tomorrow, causing some short-term parking and road lane closures.

This demolition work will be done throughout the next several months, according to a university news brief. The parking structure adjacent to Humphrey Hall and the buildings that formerly housed the Academic Support Center, Child Care Center, Helfaer Building and Boiler Plant will all be dismantled.

“There may be intermittent short-term parking, sidewalk and traffic lane closures,” according to the university news brief. “Please watch for signs and be mindful of and careful around the demolition areas.”

Once the demolition is finished, the new space will initially be used as green space. Long-term plans for the space are being considered as part of the university’s Campus Master Plan.

During the school year, none of the demolition work will happen earlier than 8 a.m., according to the university news brief.

In addition, the Department of Public Works will begin a high-impact paving project on Wells Street starting June 15. The project will span from 13th to 17th Streets and is slated to last three days.

“The plan is to keep one half of the roadway open to traffic, but the contractor may deem it necessary to close the street,” according to an email to students from University Apartments and Off-campus Student Services.