McCormick sees final class, Wild Commons to come

Photo by Olivia Qualls
View of the Wild Commons from the opposite corner.

The final group of students to inhabit McCormick Hall moved in Aug. 24, signaling the end of a 50-year era. McCormick Hall, which is slated to be demolished in the summer of 2018, will be replaced by Wild Commons, a new residence facility on the south side of Wells St. between N. 17th and N. 18th Streets.

Named in honor of former university president Rev. Robert Wild, Wild Commons is expected to house 750 freshmen and sophomores between two connected buildings. Construction on the massive $108 million project continued through the summer. 

“The structure is up to the eighth floor on one tower and the fifth floor on the other. Exterior wall panels and windows are being installed, and the construction team is beginning to put mechanical, electrical and fire alarm infrastructure in place on the enclosed floors,” Lori Strigens, vice president of strategy of planning, said.

The excitement of a new residence hall also brings bittersweet feelings for those who have fond memories of McCormick.

“I’ve heard of (McCormick) closing every year since being here, so part of me doesn’t believe it. It is sad to see (it) go, though,” Jeremy Cluth, a senior in the College of Arts & Sciences, said. “But for Wild Commons, I hope it has separate showers because I know community showers could get gross in McCormick.”

Meanwhile, current freshmen are excited to make memories in McCormick Hall.

“Since this is the last full year that McCormick will be up, I feel an obligation to make the most of every moment,” Joseph Miscimarra, a freshman in the College of Arts & Sciences, said. “Marquette alumni always smile when I tell them that I’m living in McCormick, so I know that there is a longstanding sense of community and camaraderie that I want to uphold.”

Wild Commons as compared to McCormick will have many thoughtfully-designed community spaces on each floor to help students build communities. These spaces are meant to be vibrant hubs, and will also include classrooms, practice spaces, multipurpose rooms and a chapel space.

Strigens noted that the dining facility will differentiate the new dorm from those of the past, citing an open dining concept and views to an outdoor courtyard.

The next steps include finishing up the utility connections to campus systems, and putting brick on the exterior. The topping off of the towers will happen this semester, marking the point where work will begin inside the building.