Donald Trump wins presidential election

Photo by AP
President Trump trails Democratic presidential candidates Joe Biden and Bernie Sanders among registered Wisconsin voters, a new Marquette Law School Poll finds. Photo via AP.

Republican Donald Trump is the 45th president-elect of the United States. 

“I look very much forward to being your president,” Trump said in his acceptance speech.

In his upset win over Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton, Trump won 276 electoral college votes to Clinton’s 218, according to the Associated Press.

Trump’s success in swing states was key to propelling him to victory. He narrowly won in Florida, North Carolina and Ohio, which were considered toss-up states. Trump also won in Michigan, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin — states that were largely expected to go to Clinton.

Trump is a political outsider who previously never held an elected office or military position, and was mostly known for his real estate businesses and reality television appearances.

After officially declaring his candidacy in June 2015, he ran an unconventional and at times controversial campaign, with strong stances on immigration, national defense, healthcare reform, international trade and political correctness.

At various points throughout his campaign, Trump drew the ire of both parties for his remarks about minorities and women and his refusal to listen to Republican elites.

His victory marks the return of a Republican back to the White House after Democrat Barack Obama was elected in 2008 and re-elected in 2012. Trump is scheduled to be inaugurated and take the oath of office Jan. 20, 2017.