Frugal fun around downtown Milwaukee

Brian Georgeson and Vicki Clancy

There comes a glorious time in every Marquette student’s life: a day free of schoolwork and impending responsibilities, to get off campus and wander through the streets of Milwaukee. Besides usual stops like Colectivo and the Public Market, here are 6 hole-in the wall gems left off the typical Milwaukee tourism list. These fun and inexpensive places are the perfect getaway for a guilt-free day.

Taqueria Los Comales,

1306 S. Cesar E. Chavez Drive

An authentic taqueria restaurant lies less than ten minutes away, offering quality tacos at an inexpensive price. At less than ten dollars per meal, Taqueria Los Comales is the restaurant to satisfy cravings for signature Mexican food. Guests can order out or sit inside to enjoy a fresh take on signature Mexican dishes.

Retique Store,

190 N. Broadway

A mere twenty-minute bus ride from campus, Retique is a non-profit thrift store contender to Goodwill. Retique’s detailed care in regards to the resale of pre-owned clothing makes it a great place to shop. Hannah Koller, a senior in the College of Business Administration, is an avid shopper at Retique. She believes the shop always has something to offer. “You can always find something great at Retique even when you aren’t looking,” Koller said. “Even if you aren’t looking to spend money it’s fun to look around at all the items up for sale.”

Daddy’s Soul Food & Grille,

754 N. 27th St.

Surrounded by the warm scent of mashed potatoes and fried chicken floating through the air, Daddy’s Soul Food is a restaurant that emulates the loving atmosphere of a grandparent’s house while serving up delicious comfort food. Ranging from fried chicken to steak and mac and cheese, Daddy’s Soul Food is a great home away from home. Kenyon Mitchell, a senior in the College of Arts & Sciences, is a fan of Daddy’s Soul Food. “(It’s) amazing and cheap,” Mitchell said. “Marquette students need to invest their time at Daddy’s.”

Thursday food trucks at the Milwaukee County Courthouse,

901 N. Ninth St.

Just a five-minute walk east on Wells Street from Cobeen Hall, the Milwaukee County Courthouse hosts various food trucks from local restaurants around Milwaukee on Thursdays. The food trucks bring together great varieties of food to city residents.

The National Cafe,

839 W. National Ave.

National Cafe is a great alternative for those tired of Starbucks, Colectivo or even the on-campus Brew. The cafe offers coffee and baked goods at inexpensive prices. Its quaint style, ambiance and Pinterest-worthy decorations make it a great place to socialize and spend free time.

Glorioso’s Italian Market,

1011 E. Brady St.

Glorioso’s Italian Market, located on Milwaukee’s east side, is a Milwaukee landmark that embraces Italian flavor. In an authentic Italian setting, Glorioso’s is a delicious alternative to Marquette dining that serves homemade Italian sausage, as well as fresh mozzarella.