Kappa Sigma pledges raise money for veterans, take Polar Plunge

Some of the newest pledge class of the Kappa Sigma fraternity took a Polar Plunge on Friday into Lake Michigan last week after raising $141 for charities that help veterans.

Photo by Dana Warren /dana.warren@mu.edu

“The general purpose of this event was to test our pledge class,” said Nick Mullane, a senior in the College of Communication and member of Kappa Sigma.

The money was collected by tabling in the Alumni Memorial Union. It goes toward the Military Heroes philanthropic campaign, the official philanthropic initiative for all Kappa Sigma chapters.

Twelve of the 30 pledges took the plunge into Lake Michigan. Some of the other pledges couldn’t participate because of tests.

“It was definitely a good cause that we all wanted to be a part of in our own ways whenever we could,” said David Atut, a freshman in the College of Engineering. “I knew the water would be really cold, but it was a nicer day than it had been recently, so that really helped our confidence and we hydrated right before we came out so it was definitely a lot of fun to be with my pledge brothers because we all knew it was for a good cause.”

Throughout the semester, the pledge class participated in events to be initiated into the fraternity, however this event was specifically designed for potential brothers to organize service work of their own volition.

“We started our pledge-ship about two months ago, and in the beginning a lot of us didn’t know each other yet,” said Parker Marsh, pledge class president and freshman in the College of Arts & Sciences. “In between our pledge class and events we’ve grown a huge bond, and that was really seen through this event because the guys who were available came out and were willing to do this even though it wasn’t mandatory. It was a really great experience to bring us together.”

Kappa Sigma has donated over one million dollars to various charities.

“The philanthropy that we are benefiting is the Military Heroes campaign which takes all of the donations from our tabling and they spread it out to other charitable organizations like Wounded Warriors, Yellow Ribbon, Fisher House, those kinds of places that benefit veterans, and they will decided where it is most needed,” said Zane Cooper, a freshman in the College of Health Sciences and Kappa Sigma’s pledge class philanthropy and service chair.

Mullane, who served as the philanthropy and service chair when he was pledging, said working with the newest members has been a rewarding experience because he felt like he was taking on a mentorship role in the fraternity. He said it is something he values as part of being a member of Kappa Sigma.

“The purpose of the pledge class philanthropy and service chair is it’s his job to organize a pledge class-specific service event so that we can know and see the way that this pledge class works together in performing service to themselves and others,” Mullane said.