Gebes and Ambrosio capture doubles title at women’s tennis warm-up

Tournament prepares team for team play beginning next week
Photo by Maggie Bean
Photo courtesy of Maggie Bean/Marquette Athletics

As a precursor to the start of the spring season this Saturday, the Marquette women’s tennis team participated in the Hoosier Winter Classic in Bloomington, Indiana along with Abilene Christian, Wright State and Indiana.

“This tournament gave our players an opportunity to play actual matches before they play a team match,” said Marquette women’s coach Jody Bronson. “They are off for four or five weeks, so coming back you want to get them competing to see where they are at before they have to play their first team match.”

The Golden Eagles were led by the stellar doubles play of senior Erin Gebes and freshman Silvia Ambrosio, who took home the tournament’s doubles championship.

“I think they communicate well together,” said Bronson. “They each bring different pieces in their games: Silvia has a big serve and a strong ball from the baseline and Erin is aggressive at the net and can hit good lobs.”

The doubles team comprised of freshmen Courtney Hebard and Diana Tokar also performed well and made it to the doubles semifinals.

Bronson has decided to use Gebes-Ambrosio, Hebard-Tokar and senior Aleeza Kanner and sophomore Paula Tormos Sanchez as Marquette’s three doubles teams to start the season.

“Our focus was better for doubles,” said Bronson. “We are more aware of what is going on and what we should be doing with our shots. We are heading in the right direction.”

In addition to robust doubles play, Marquette also excelled in singles. On Saturday the team combined to shut out Wright State in singles.

Marquette will open the season with dual match against University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee at 10 a.m. and IUPUI at 4 p.m. at Helfaer Tennis Stadium on Saturday.