Two golfers place in Top-10 at Badger Invitational

Photo by Maggie Bean

Photo by Maggie Bean

By Robbie Cowles

The Marquette men’s golf team finished fifth out of 13 teams at the 2014 Badger Invitational Tournament at University Ridge Golf Course in Madison. Marquette’s top finishers were senior Brandon Cloete, tied for fifth place, and junior Pat Sanchez, tied for 10th place.

Marquette sat at second place after the opening round Sunday, thanks to Pat Sanchez’s blistering opening round score of 68, four-under par. Regression from the team in rounds two and three led to a fall in the final standings.

“From what I saw (during round three), just a lot of sloppy play,” coach Steve Bailey said. “A lot of three-putts, when you get a little behind, you try to make some things happen.”

Cloete was the standout performer for Marquette, finishing with his best three-round score this year so far, one-over par. He explained he relaxed his approach coming into this tournament.

“This week, I felt really calm, really in control of what I was trying do do,” Cloete said.  “I had a really good game-plan going into every single hole. All-around my best ball-striking day tournament from day one to three. I hit it better and better everyday.”

Bailey said Cloete played a complete tournament.

“It wasn’t the finish he was looking for, but he struck it nicely all week,” Bailey said of Cloete. “He led the tournament in par five scoring, at seven-under par.”

Bailey stressed the importance of strong play from all team members in order to finish better as a team.

“I think we’ve relied a lot on our top three guys the last few events, and at some point you can’t always do that,” Bailey said. “You have to have five guys show up, and I think (in this tournament) it really cost us.”

The rest of Marquette’s finishers included junior Nick Nelson, sophomore Henry Klongland, and junior Zach Gaugert, who finished tied for 22nd, tied for 54th and tied for 60th, respectively.

Cloete also emphasized that strong play from the whole is key to unlocking his team’s potential.

“We’re waiting for that round where all four or five of us are in it, and that’s when something special’s going to happen,” Cloete said. “Unfortunately this time we didn’t bring that fourth and fifth score together all week.”

Bailey highlighted that consistent play throughout a tournament is the difference between potential and results.

“That’s what championship programs are made of, is being consistent, through a whole event,” Bailey said. “We can’t show up and play 18 or 36 holes and expect to be a team that’s going to make it through regionals or be conference champs.”

Marquette will stay close to home for its next tournament Oct. 5-7, as it competes in the Erin Hills Intercollegiate Tournament at Erin Hills Golf Club in Erin, Wis.