‘Downton Abbey’ Season 4, Episode 8

Downton Abbey airs Sundays at 8pm on PBS.

Now that season four of “Downton” has come and passed, apart of me feel empty inside. I’m not quite sure what to do with myself now. As much as I fancy basking in my despair, I must look on the sunny side: I have this one last episode to gossip about.

The last chapter of season four starts with Rose being presented to society. Decked out in a big fancy dress and an elaborate veil, she ascended down the stairs, in front of the king and queen of England gracefully. And much like my version of being presented to society, otherwise known as prom, the night was filled with drama.

The Crawley family goes secret agent ninja mode in order to cover their tracks and save their family from ruin when sneaky Sampson stole a love note the Prince of Wales wrote to his mistress. Being the social butterfly that she is, Rose gossiped about the scandalous letter in front of Sampson, intertwining her in the thick of it and requiring the rest of her family to bail her out. Leave it to Rose to be oblivious to the chaos she is causing around her.

Cora’s grandmother and brother even travel across the pond to attend. However, much of the Crawley family would prefer if they didn’t. Apparently they don’t like the American way. When Martha walks in and says, “Well the gang’s all here, I see,” the Dowager remarks snidely, “Is that American for hello?”

But, the Americans don’t travel alone. They brought their servants to accompany them on their journey, and one just happens to fancy Daisy. Yet, despite how flattered she is to have a male admirer, Daisy turns down his offer to become Cora’s brother Harold’s new cook and live in America.

The opportunity for adventure instead goes to Ivy, who asks to replace Daisy as cook for Harold. Cora’s brother just wanted an English cook, so whether it’s Daisy or Ivy, I’m sure he won’t mind. He has a pretty laid back attitude.

Meanwhile, “Mary’s Men,” as her family refers to them, continue to follow her every move in hopes of winning her heart. Mary, however, still cannot decide on which suitor, or even if she is ready to start a new relationship.

It is when Mary weighs the pros and cons about Charles with Tony that she learns that Mr. Blake isn’t who she thinks he is. Charles does come from Mary’s world of elegance, wealth and nobility. In fact, he is in line to inherit a grand estate as well as a major sum of money, which will make him out rank Tony. As I told you before, Charles is where it’s at. Not saying money equals happiness, but money does buy one chocolate and all four seasons of Downton Abbey, which in turn results in happiness.

Before the entire family could be united in London for the big shindig, Tom brings his lady friend to Downton for a brief tour. However, Tom is in the wrong place at the wrong time when Mr. Barrow lurks around the corner. Out of context, it looks like they were going to hook up in one of the many spare rooms in Downton, when in actuality all she wanted was to see the view of the hall from the upstairs. Although this puts Tom in a tight spot, who could blame a girl for wanting to see Downton in all its awe and glory? I know I can’t.

Speaking of Barrow, the tension between him and Baxter has reached its peak. After she refuses to dish on the other servants and the Crawley family, Barrow informs the viewers that he has some dirt on Baxter from her past. It must be pretty juicy too, if she’s willing to do Barrow’s bidding. But, after hanging out with Mosley she is beginning to challenge Barrow.

When Anna donates Bates’ jacket, Mrs. Hughes finds in the pocket a train ticket from London the day Mr. Green died. So does this mean Bates kill Green?

Apart of me feels that having Bates kill Green is too simple, too obvious. I still firmly think that either Anna, Mary or someone else loyal to the family killed off Green. I may be wrong, since Mrs. Hughes did find the train ticket to London in his pocket, but Bates is too easy of a character to pin this on. Then again, where did he pick up his secret forging skills? Can prison really change a man that much? There’s a lot to Bates we just don’t know.

Lastly, the story closes with Edith depressed with a case of the baby blues. After returning from her nine month get away,  she is even more distant with the family. After much deliberation, Edith, who cannot seem to let go of her child, decides to give her baby girl to the tenant farmers at Downton.

I wonder how the Schroeder family will feel about that. I also wonder if Edith can trust this tenant farmer. Yes, the man’s family has been the caregiver to the estate and land for hundreds of years, but for the right price, I think he can be easily persuaded to cause trouble.

Although I understand where Edith is coming from and I feel for her, I think it’s a bad decision to bring the child back to Downton. The truth is going to come out in the end, and when it does, I worry for Edith and the baby.

He said, “It’ll be our secret.” Sorry Edith, I doubt it will be.