Nortey lifts Marquette in overtime

Photo by Valeria Cardenas/valeria.cardenas@marquette.edu
Photo by Valeria Cardenas/[email protected]

For the second game in a row, redshirt sophomore C. Nortey scored the game-winning goal in extra time, this time to lift Marquette over Butler 3-2.

Nortey tied the record for most career game winners with senior defender Eric Pothast and leads all active players in points.

Marquette dominated the tempo throughout the match; however, they were scoreless after the first frame and it seemed this game would be decided by whoever struck first.

That break came in the 50th minute, when Butler’s Jeff Adkins received a ball in the lower left corner of the box. His cross deflected off redshirt sophomore defender Axel Sjoberg’s leg and popped up over redshirt junior keeper Charlie Lyon and crossed the line before Lyon could get to it.

The energy from both the squad and crowd depleted following the own goal, but did not last as Marquette quickly turned the tables.

Less than a minute later, the Golden Eagles earned a free kick well away from the box. Senior defender Paul Dillon took the kick and Sjoberg got a head on it and scored.

The goal came only 37 seconds after Butler’s, and the action was not finished there. Marquette earned a corner kick a little over a minute later. Dillon played the corner, and Puthast, who was wide open on the back post, tapped it in to take a 2-1 advantage.

The three goals came in a 2:07 span.

Dillon finished with two assists on the night and played his second full game of the season. Freshman defender Jake Taylor, who normally shares playing time with Dillon, was out with a concussion.

“It’s the first full game I’ve played since (the season opener against Milwaukee),” Dillon said. “I felt good. I felt I established myself. Got a really good rhythm going and good vibes all around.”

The momentum continued to build following the goal and Marquette proceeded to outshoot the Bulldogs 11-5 is the second half.

Most of the chances were quality ones, but Marquette was unable put another one away in regulation.

Heading into the final minutes of regulation, the lead was intact, until a Butler shot deflected and Vincent Mitchell got on the end of it and tied the game, sending into overtime.

Both teams had opportunities in the first overtime period, but no one was able to put the game away.

Midway through the second overtime, senior midfielder Bryan Ciesiulka played a ball to redshirt senior forward Adam Lysak who gave a through ball to Nortey who split the defenders and put his shot upstairs for the golden goal.

“It’s always good to score the game-winner,” Nortey said. “We finished it at the right time and it’s good.”

Coach Louis Bennett said he was proud of his team’s effort and ability to respond after going down and giving up the late goal. He said converting set pieces was a difference maker in the match.

The team had great success last season on set pieces, but hasn’t this season. Now, after a few tweaks, the team is starting to become dangerous on them.

“We did a lot of work on set pieces,” Bennett said. “We revamped some of our corners. We’ve got three or four different looks. We’ll get them right more often now than we’ll get them wrong and that will put our percentages up.”

Marquette has to rest up quickly, as they prepare for arguably their toughest match of the season against No. 4 Creighton Saturday night. Saturday will also mark the celebration of the opening of the new stands at Valley Fields.