Women’s Tennis compete in Cal Nike Invitational

Marquette Women's Tennis vs. Notre DameThe women’s tennis team was back in action this weekend, participating in both singles and doubles play at the Cal Nike Invitational in Berkeley, Calif.

In the first round of games, senior Rocio Diaz was the only Golden Eagle to register a win. Diaz opened her match with a 6-2 victory, but then fell 4-6 in the second set to force a tiebreaker. Diaz convincingly won the tiebreaker 10-2 to claim victory. Junior Ali Dawson, sophomore Laia Hernandez Soler and junior Ana Pimienta also played in the first round, but were defeated. Dawson fell 6-1, 6-2, while Hernandez Soler and Pimienta lost 6-3 in both sets.

During the second round of games, Hernandez Soler put up a bigger fight. Hernandez Soler pushed the first set to five games but fell 7-5, and lost the second game 6-2. Pimienta had the most convincing win of the tournament, defeating her opponent 6-0, 6-1.

Junior Vanessa Foltinger made it to the semifinals of the white singles division. Foltinger lost her first set  6-2, but battled back to win the second set 7-6. In the tiebreaker, Foltinger couldn’t get a point and lost 10-0.

Pimienta and sophomore Erin Gebes competed in the blue doubles division and played two matches in the opening round. Their first match was a battle, but they ended up losing 9-7. In the second match of the day, Pimienta and Gebes won 8-6.

Dawson and Hernandez Soler played a doubles match where they fell 8-4. Sophomore Aleeza Kanner and Diaz also competed in doubles play, defeating their opponents 8-6.

The men’s team is competing in the ITA Pre-Qualifying tournament in Tulsa, Okla., this week, while the women’s team prepares for the ITA Regional Championships in Ann Arbor, Mich., Oct. 10-14.