Women’s Lacrosse: Costanza emerges as key team player

Courtesy of GoMarquette.com
Courtesy of GoMarquette.com

Prior to arriving at Marquette, freshman attacker Claire Costanza was not known primarily as a passer. Her 19 assists through 12 games so far this season have surprised many.

Costanza leads the team with 30 points (including 11 goals) and has taken on the role of distributor for the Golden Eagles, seeking the open player instead of looking to score first.

“I think it’s a good role for me,” Costanza said. “I have a lot of numbers in assists, so I’m a good team player, and I just kind of fell into that position. I just kind of stepped up, and everyone around me is supporting. It’s a good team offense.”

Coach Meredith Black observed Costanza in high school and tabbed her as an isolation-style player, but she has been impressed with the way Costanza has taken care of the ball.

“We did not have any plans for her when she got here in terms of assists,” Black said. “I think in high school she was more of a one-on-one player, but I think she’s developed into such a great feeder. The best thing about her is she’s able to feed not only from behind the cage, which is a common feeding area in our sport, but she’s able to feed from up top and on the move.”

The Webster, N.Y. native’s older siblings influenced her to play lacrosse. Costanza has played since she was six, and she credits her development to having played for so many years.

“I’ve been playing for so long, and it’s made me have a (good) lacrosse IQ,” Costanza said. “I’ll give it to anyone who’s open, so I just go for it and it’s all on them to catch it and shoot. I have a lot of trust in all my teammates.”

Costanza’s roommate, freshman midfielder Lauren Hooker, describes her as an easygoing, low-stress person, with or without a lacrosse stick in her hands.

“She’s definitely like that on and off the field,” Hooker said. “She doesn’t get panicked or flustered on the field. She stays calm and composed the whole time.”

Black said Costanza is the most calm and collected person she has ever met.

“Nothing phases her, in a good way,” Black said. “She’s not phased by things that could be negative or going wrong. She takes everything very lightly. She’s very laid-back, very calm.”

Costanza has three years remaining at Marquette, and enhancing parts of her game will be important as her responsibilities will increase with each passing season.

“I expect more out of myself obviously,” Costanza said. “I expect to keep improving with the coaching staff and everybody. Everybody will grow and improve, so I think it’ll be very good in the future.”

With 27 freshmen on the roster this season, youth and inexperience have proved disadvantageous for the Golden Eagles. Freshmen like Costanza, who have already proven to be impact players will have to continually make amendments and elevate their game.

“She’s going to be a great player her whole career,” Black said. “She takes criticism really well. She works really hard to get better, and I think she’s naturally gifted, which is great. She’s going to become an even better feeder but also develop other parts of her game over the years. We’re always going to see her on the stat sheet.”