SEEMAN: A modest Brewers proposal

The shroud of opening day firework smoke obscuring Miller Park’s new scoreboard has hardly dissipated from the stadium and already I’m fed up with these Milwaukee Brewers.

After the Cincinnati Reds swept them out of Ohio over the weekend and yesterday’s 2-1 loss against Atlanta, they’re already 0-4 and 3.5 games off the division lead.

With a mere 158 games remaining to get this tail spinning season under control, there’s only one solution: fire new manager Ron Roenicke.

Four games might be a quick hook, but let’s face it: Baseball is a results-oriented business, and if a guy isn’t getting results, he shouldn’t be in the business.

Sure, new managers usually get a year or two to massage the kinks out — and lord knows there were plenty after the Ken Macha debacle — but it’s obvious Roenicke is content with letting familiar problems plague the 2011 Brewers, like dependence on the home run.

Take second baseman Rickie Weeks. He hit 29 out of the park last season, a spectacular number for a second baseman. Except lead-off men aren’t supposed to hit home runs. And alarmingly, Weeks already has three, including a season-opening shot on Thursday.

Instead of praising Weeks for his power stroke, Roenicke should bench him and tell him to forget the dingers and focus on stacking up the singles.

It’s hard to play small ball when one of the fastest guys on the squad is trotting around the bases. And with sluggers like left fielder Ryan Braun and first baseman Prince Fielder in the lineup, small ball is definitely the way to play.

The Brewer offense is troubling enough — look up last year’s numbers to see how bad it can be — but what about the deplorable pitching staff?

The team’s high-profile winter acquisition, 2009 AL Cy Young Award winner Zack Greinke, broke a rib playing a pick-up basketball game. I want to know why Greinke wasn’t getting hourly calls to ensure he wasn’t putting himself in risky situations. Is it too much to ask a professional team to keep tabs on a 27-year-old player? I think not.

After Roenicke cleans out his desk, it would only make sense to show general manager Doug Melvin the door, too.

I know I’d much rather lose 100 games a year with also-rans like Junior Spivey and Royce Clayton all over the diamond than watch legitimate All-Stars like Braun and Fielder, but I guess that’s a matter of taste.

Maybe if Melvin put effort into addressing team needs, he’d deserve to stay, but trading for two former opening day starters in Greinke and Shaun Marcum this past offseason just isn’t good enough.

Brewer owner Mark Attanasio, who seems oblivious to these organizational problems, likely won’t read this column or heed this advice. Instead, he’ll probably let this guy Roenicke continue running the team deeper into the ground.

Greinke will rejoin the team sometime in May, and starters Corey Hart, an All-Star right fielder (but what difference could he possibly make?), and Jonathan Lucroy, the team’s starting catcher, should be back before April is over.

But at this pace, which is sure to hold up, the Brewers could be more than 20 games out of first and pondering pennies-on-the-dollar trade offers for Fielder by that time.

Either that, or they’ll put together a winning streak or two and be off on a long race for a playoff spot.

I wouldn’t bet on that, though. The bad start to this season is simply too much to overcome. Keep in mind the 2010 Green Bay Packers, who started their season at a pitiful 3-3. I trust I don’t have to tell you what became of them.