EDITORIAL: MU giveaways must step up game

Get ready for a wild Saturday, Marquette. Everyone gets to take home our favorite president after the men’s basketball game!

Sure, University President the Rev. Robert A. Wild will be in bobblehead form, but that doesn’t take away from this being one of the coolest giveaways Marquette has had in a while.

Along with a miniature Wild, attendees will receive a gold sweater vest T-shirt. Think of a faux tuxedo shirt, but in the likeness of Wild’s signature basketball attire.

This is definitely an upgrade compared to Marquette’s recent basketball giveaways.

As of late, giveaway T-shirts have been plain, and the foam fingers students received at the DePaul game hardly had any school spirit besides being blue. They made it look like students were rooting on sponsor Baker Tilly, rather than the Golden Eagles.

To be fair, the poor state of the economy could very well be the reason why giveaways in the last couple years have been bland.

Still, that is no excuse for why this year’s student Fanatics’ T-shirt design looks like your old middle school gym uniform.

Even the shirts students received at Tuesday’s game against St. John’s look exactly like one given out earlier in the season.

Quite simply, T-shirts now do not live up to the more exciting designs of the past. Where’s the dark blue D-Wade T-shirt given away at a last-second loss to Louisville in 2007?

Or the baby blue T-shirt commemorating the 30th anniversary of Marquette’s NCAA championship run, with the full list of game scores from that magical season on the back?

Those were sweet giveaways. They were unique and memorable, not to mention no sponsors on the back.

Students spend a lot of money on season tickets, and one of the benefits is getting a brand new shirt to wear to the games and the occasional freebie.

But we want variety in the giveaways, a little pizzaz. Maybe a bigger variety of colors and new designs on future shirts or items other than clothing. Just a few tweaks here and there would amp up the enthusiasm and buzz of receiving free stuff, like the Wild giveaways have done this week.

Marquette has many talented students who could create and submit shirt designs or suggest giveaway ideas. It would be a great opportunity for students to get excited about home games and provide the promo items with more character.

As awesome as free T-shirts are, you can only give out so many before it becomes old or creates too much dirty laundry.

Of course, most students know that Marquette isn’t going to give away free Apple iPads or all expenses paid trips to New Zealand, but there’s plenty of things that can be given out that are just as exciting.

The replicas of the Al McGuire statue and 2003 Final Four ring were certainly distinctive, but college students are practical.

The simplest items could be a welcome change from the typical basketball game giveaways.

For example, especially in tundra-esque Wisconsin, free Marquette scarves would come in handy for more than half of the school year.

Or what about blue and gold lanyards?

And an entire student section wearing limited edition Marquette basketball headbands would be extremely intimidating to other teams.

There are so many possibilities for creative items to give away at games.

Regardless of the general lack of variety we’ve seen recently, no matter what’s being given out at a game, students will always be appreciative. The Father Wild bobblehead is a great idea and can be the start of other original giveaways.

Hopefully, Marquette will continue to step up the creativity and cool factor in future gifts, so students and other Golden Eagles basketball fans can have even better ways to show their school spirit.