Editorial: Needle exchange reduces harm for drug users, society

On Dec. 1, the global community joined together to observe the annual World AIDS Day, and to remember the millions of adults and children who die from AIDS each year, along with the almost 35 million people worldwide living with HIV.

In 2009 alone, 2.6 million people were infected with HIV, according to the United Nations Global Report. In Wisconsin, 10,765 cases of HIV have been reported since 1983, according to the Wisconsin Department of Health Services’ 2010 AIDS/HIV Surveillance Report.

One of the populations most at risk of transmitting HIV is injection drug users. To target this group and reduce the harm, they present to themselves and others, the AIDS Resource Center of Wisconsin offers the Lifepoint Needle Exchange, a one-for-one exchange that allows injection drug users to trade in their dirty, used syringes for new, sterile needles.

Despite what critics may say about the program, it is making a positive impact on surrounding communities.

The ARCW reports a 67 percent reduction in HIV diagnoses connected to injection drug use in Wisconsin since 1994, when the program began. Last year, 75,000 needles were exchanged in the state.

One in five drug users worldwide are infected with HIV, and injection drug users account for 15 percent of AIDS diagnoses in America, according to Avert, an international AIDS/HIV charity.

Common needle exchanges provide access to sterile syringes as well as swabs and sterile water. Avert says they also act as a gateway “through which users learn about safe injection practices and equipment disposal, safe sex education, access to other prevention services … and referral to treatment.”

Along with the exchanges, these programs take proactive steps to support drug users by educating them about HIV, testing for Hepatitis C and informing users of treatment options.

Lifepoint works via mobile exchange sites throughout the state. With its harm reduction strategy, the program doesn’t seek to abolish drug use or try to persuade users into treatment.

Rather, by attempting to keep dirty syringes off the streets, potential harm to users — the spread of infection, risk of overdose and other drug-related issues—is reduced. Also, streets free of infected needles prevent harm to the community, such as the garbage man who accidentally pricks himself on an old needle in a trashcan, or a child who does not realize the dangers of a used syringe.

Some people might argue that the program is counterproductive because it allows drug users to continue injecting themselves with harmful drugs, or even that the program is, in effect, promoting drug use.

But those arguments overlook the likelihood that users and addicts are going to inject the drugs, clean needle or dirty needle, so it may as well be an unused, sanitary needle. Lifepoint, along with other needle exchange programs, are beneficial and proactively reduce the harms to drug users and the community.

Drug abuse isn’t going to be eliminated anytime soon.

But the ARCW is doing the next best thing in tackling the issue of used needles by taking them off the streets, while providing educational and informative programs, treatment options and testing for users.