Marquette handles Green Bay 3-1 in nonconference match

The Marquette women’s volleyball team (12-7, 3-2 Big East) swept Wisconsin-Green Bay (7-15) in four sets last night, in a mid-week non-conference matchup.

The Golden Eagles were led by senior Nikki Klingsporn and junior Ashley Beyer, who both notches double-doubles. Klingsporn dished out 57 assists and recorded 10 digs while Beyer tallied 17 kills and 19 digs.

Up 13-12 in the first set, the Golden Eagle’s went on a 6-1 run to pull away from the Phoenix. From that point the two teams traded jabs with the Golden Eagles coming out victorious 25-19. Sophomore Danielle Carlson led Marquette in the first set, recording five kills and hitting over .500.

The Golden Eagles picked up in the second set where they left off, jumping out to an 8-4 lead. A 6-1 run by Wisconsin-Green Bay put the Phoenix on top, and Marquette on its heels. The Phoenix continued to apply pressure and won the second set 25-23.

Marquette got back on track in the third set, using a 6-0 run to take a 15-11 lead. Wisconsin-Green Bay cut the lead to one with a 4-1 run before the Golden Eagles grabbed four straight points and went on to take the set 25-21.

In the final frame, Marquette dominated from start to finish behind senior Rabbecka Gonyo’s five kills and three blocks. The Golden Eagles took the set 25-15 to clinch the match.

The victory was Marquette’s fifth consecutive overall, and third straight on the road. It moved the Golden Eagles to 27-9 all-time against Wisconsin-Green Bay.

The Orange are next on the agenda for Marquette, as the Golden Eagles travel to Syracuse for a Big East road matchup on Saturday.