Former athletes Bares, Beyer making impact in other countries

Ashley Bares, playing professionally in Iceland, lead the league with 21 goals last season. Photo courtesy of Marquette Athletics.

If someone were to ask you which active NBA players graduated from Marquette, you could probably name all of them without thinking about it. However, if someone asked you to name current professional athletes from Marquette in other sports, few people could name more than one.

The main reason for this discrepancy is that most of the opportunities for athletes, particularly female athletes, are overseas. However, that hasn’t stopped some very talented players from pursuing a professional career.

Ashley Bares graduated in 2011 after leading the Golden Eagles to three consecutive NCAA Tournament appearances from 2008-’10. Bares is beginning her second season playing soccer for UMF Stjarnan in the top division Urvalsdedlid in Gardabaer, Iceland.

Bares was twice named to an All-Big East team under coach Markus Roeders, including a first team selection as a senior. The Belgium, Wis. native ranks third all-time in game-winning goals with 10 and ranks in the top 10 in four other categories. Bares believes that roles for female athletes will continue to grow.

“I think it is great to represent all sports and show the talent of all the great athletes that are out there,” Bares said. “It also gives youth athletes the opportunity to look up to great leaders and athletes, male or female.”

Bares had an incredible first season in Iceland, scoring 21 goals in 18 matches, and was awarded the Golden Boot, which is given to the league leader in goals.

Ashley Beyer played a big role in bringing the volleyball team to its first NCAA Tournament appearance in school history. Beyer played only three seasons at Marquette but ranks fourth in kills all-time. The Bloomington, Ill. native realizes that the coaches for the women’s teams add to the success of all Marquette sports.

“It means they are training them in the right way to prepare their bodies to perform at the best level,” Beyer said. “The coaches are doing a great job of recruiting elite athletes to come play for them, and overall it says that the department is really strong.”

Beyer is in the midst of her first season with the Lindesberg Volley of the Swedish Elitserien, which is currently in the semifinals of its league playoffs.

Most young athletes dream of continuing their playing career after college. Women’s volleyball coach Bond Shymansky knows that the success of Beyer and former players Nikki Klingsporn and Rabbecka Gonyo can help him land the best players.

“It’s one thing to talk about, but to actually show them how it’s done, to have models and examples from our program of people that have gone on to play professionally, that makes my job a little easier,” Shymansky explained. “They understand that we can help them accomplish their goal.”

Bares and Beyer knew when they arrived at Marquette that they wanted to continue to play after their career was finished in Milwaukee.

The coaches and the atmosphere of each program helped them reach their dream, and neither player has any intention of ending their career anytime soon.