EDITORIAL: Take advantage of religious services, groups on campus

Following a string of conflict surrounding the establishment of Park 51, a mosque and community center two blocks from Ground Zero, came a wave of negative attitudes toward the Muslim community.

According to a September poll conducted by The Washington Post/ABC News, 49 percent of Americans said they generally have an unfavorable opinion of Islam.

Although a Florida pastor canceled plans to burn the Quran on last week’s 9/11 anniversary, the thought was still present, the hateful sentiment was resonant and a nation’s ignorance was once again, not so blissful.

The attitudes held by this 49 percent potentially string from a lack of knowledge and awareness about Islam, its culture and people.

Attending Marquette provides us with a rare opportunity to introduce ourselves to different religions and to gain insight and understanding that will prevent future misconceptions and a continuing cycle of ignorance.

We are offered a range of theology classes such as Islam: Faith and Practice, Christ and World Religion: Theology of Interreligious Dialogue and Survey of World Religions. There is an Arab and Muslim Americans class as well as a course entitled The Bible in Jewish Community.

Take one of these classes. Learn something outside of Christianity. Explore the greater religious spectrum.

We also have the opportunity to attend events hosted by religious student organizations and Campus Ministry.

The Muslim Student Association recently hosted several iftars — fast-breaking meals — on campus in accordance with Ramadan, the Islamic month of fasting. The iftars were open to non-Muslim students and included food from local restaurants or from the Arab Student Association.

Martha Mahmoud, a junior in the College of Health Sciences and president of the MSA, said the group’s mission is to “be an outlet for people who have questions and are interested in learning.”

She said the MSA holds events like the iftars to correct the misconceptions people have.

Marquette is a school deeply rooted in its Catholic, Jesuit tradition, but it’s also a university that allows us to introduce ourselves to other faiths.

Marquette sponsors Eastern Orthodox Vespers services, Islamic prayers and Lutheran and Jewish services.

Our location in the heart of Milwaukee provides many other places of worship as well. The Campus Ministry website lists local Episcopalian, Independent Baptist, Non-denominational, Serbian Orthodox, Seventh-Day Adventist and Methodist churches, among others.

Attend a mass in French, German or Spanish. Talk to students in the Chinese Christian Fellowship, Jewish Student Union, Lutheran Student Union or Orthodox Christian Fellowship. Find out about your peers’ religions before developing a potentially ill-informed opinion.

By attending events sponsored by Campus Ministry, getting involved or by simply talking to members of student religious groups, we can develop our opinions not based on fear or ignorance, but based on experience, communication and involvement.

College is the best time to explore other cultures and other religions. As we develop our characters and identities, we must make an effort to leave the bliss that ignorance may offer, and to reach out to each other, teach each other and learn from one another.