Women’s soccer goes 1-1 in Minnesota

The Marquette women’s soccer team earned a 1-1 split this weekend at the Minnesota Gold Classic in St. Paul, Minn.

The Golden Eagles suffered their second straight overtime loss Friday afternoon, as they were topped by No. 14 San Diego, 1-0, despite outshooting the Torreros 27-7.

Marquette put 13 of the 27 attempts on goal, but San Diego’s keeper Courtney Parsons was credited with 12 saves.

One of the Golden Eagles’ best chances in the first half came in the 36th minute when senior defender Lauren Thut served the ball in to sophomore forward Lisa Philbin, who headed it toward the far post. Philbin’s ball hit the far post, bounced off the near post and was saved by Parsons.

Marquette was able to rebound with a 1-0 victory over UC-Santa Barbara Sunday morning, with reigning Big East Rookie of the Week Maegan Kelly’s game-winning goal in the 72nd minute providing the difference.

Junior midfielder Kerry McBride and freshman defender Katie Hishmeh were named to the Minnesota Classic All-Tournament team following the completion of the tournament. The all-tournament honor is McBride’s second of the season. She was also named to the MKE Cup All-Tournament team.

The win improved the Golden Eagles to 3-2-1 overall. Marquette returns home to host Wisconsin-Milwaukee at Valley Fields Wednesday at 7 p.m.