DPS Reports 12/08

Dec. 4

At 7:34 p.m., duty resident assistants at McCormick Hall noticed a suspicious odor coming from a room on the ninth floor. After further investigation by the Department of Public Safety, officers entered a room where the scent of marijuana was particularly pungent. Upon entry, officers found no residents and were able of confiscate a bag of a green leafy substance wrapped in a white sock. One resident admitted to possessing the bag and three bottles of alcohol, which were found in the room’s refrigerator. The resident was taken into Milwaukee Police Department custody and cited for possession of marijuana. He was released soon after.

Dec. 5

At 1:21 p.m., DPS officers met with a student who said unknown persons entered his residence on the seventh floor of McCormick Hall and removed his laptop and iPod Touch from his desk. The student was out of his room on the night of Dec. 4 and noticed his belongings were missing when he returned at 1:30 a.m. on Dec. 5. The student was not sure if his room was secure when he left. The total loss is estimated at $1,680.

Dec. 6

At 1:03 p.m., DPS officers noticed a known 54-year-old male trespasser in a Marquette-owned parking lot at 16th and Wells streets. The officers noticed the suspect because local law enforcement had put out a “be on the lookout” alert for him due to an outstanding warrant. Officers notified MPD and the suspect was taken into custody for an unknown felony charge.

Dec. 7

At 5:23 a.m., DPS officers were dispatched to the Open Pantry store in Campus Town West to respond to reports of an attempted retail theft. Upon speaking to an employee of the store, officers discovered that two individuals entered the store and purchased a banana. One of the individuals then attempted to steal nine packages of batteries and two packages of peanuts by concealing them in his pants. The employee spotted the attempted theft and the 29-year-old suspect was taken into MPD custody. The suspect was cited for attempted retail theft. The merchandise was valued at a total of $37.