The Best of DPS Reports

Photo by Emily Waller / [email protected] DPS Officer Joseph Secanky is serious about student safety.

Twice a week, a reporter from the Marquette Tribune selects the most pertinent and sometimes unusual Department of Public Safety reports to include in the week’s issues.

DPS Officer Joseph Secanky said most DPS officers don’t want to portray themselves as “beer police” and would rather help students learn from their experiences.

Here are our favorite learning experiences from the past decade.

Best of 2010:

Sept. 17

At 4:50 p.m., a person not affiliated with Marquette reported that while driving his vehicle in the 1900 block of West Kilbourn Avenue, his vehicle was struck by a water balloon thrown by a student.  The man said he thought it sounded like “a gunshot” before he realized it was a balloon.  A witness said he heard an individual standing on a nearby porch yell, “Yeah (expletive)! I got ya!”  A verbal dispute broke out between the student on the porch and the driver.  However, a female witness said the balloon came from a different building.  Milwaukee Police Department was contacted.

Nov. 5

At 11:16 p.m., a fire alarm sounded for Schroeder Hall. Milwaukee Fire Department was contacted and the building evacuated. Upon investigation, it was determined that an unknown person activated a Jungle Chorus firework, setting off the alarm. One student said she heard a male yell, “Remember, remember the 5th of November.” The alarm was reset and the building reopened.

Best of 2009

Feb. 7

At 9:46 p.m., a university employee reported that a 29-year-old woman not affiliated with Marquette signed into Sensenbrenner Hall to use a computer for personal reasons. She was then seen viewing explicit images on the computer, which were later revealed to be naked pictures of herself.

March 17

At 9:01 p.m., a 21-year-old male student reported that unknown subject(s) forcibly entered his secured residence by breaking through a kitchen window. A bunt cake that was sitting on the counter next to the broken window was reported stolen. The estimated loss is $5.

Nov. 20

At 9:15 p.m., DPS officers were flagged down by an Open Pantry employee who alerted them to a male suspect who reportedly was stealing from the business. The employee said the suspect hid a sandwich and banana under his coat and attempted to leave the store. When confronted by the employee, he dropped the sandwich, but ran away with the banana. DPS officers were able to stop the suspect and MPD officers took him into custody for retail theft. The banana was not recovered. The estimated loss is $1.

Best of 2008:

Feb. 12

At 1:57 a.m., a 19-year-old female student removed property from Jimmy Johns. After the student purchased a bag of chips, a staff member spotted more property in the student’s coat. The staff member then recovered six bags of chips from the student, which had a collective value of $6.

Nov. 23

At 5:04 a.m., two students reported that a fellow resident entered their room in McCormick Hall and urinated on their desks and on piles of clothing. The victims led DPS officers to the suspect’s room, where he was found sleeping in his bed. The officers awoke the suspect, who admitted to being intoxicated, but had no recollection of the urination incident.

Best of 2007:

Feb. 20

At 1:12 a.m., a 56-year-old female employee reported that an unknown person removed three rolls of secured, unattended toilet paper from a men’s restroom in Olin Engineering building. The estimated loss is $15.

Sept. 6

At 4:25 p.m., an employee reported that an unknown person made several unauthorized long distance calls on a university phone. The estimated loss is $106.

Oct. 26

At 2:03 p.m., a 19-year-old male student reported being slapped in the face by his girlfriend, a 19-year-old female student, in Schroeder Hall. MPD assistance was declined.

Best of 2006:

Jan. 21

At 12:41 a.m., a 22-year-old female student reported being punched in the face without consent by another 22-year-old female student in a business on the 700 block of North 16th Street.

Jan. 28

At 1:58 a.m., an 18-year-old female student and a 20-year-old man not affiliated with Marquette were observed by Milwaukee police officers through the front window of (a) residence in the 1500 block of West Kilbourn Avenue participating in a sexual act. MPD was allowed into the residence by a 21-year-old male student who lives in the residence. The male student became combative to MPD officers. MPD took the men and woman into custody. The male student was charged with resisting arrest and public drinking. The female student and the male not affiliated with Marquette were cited for disorderly conduct and underage drinking.

Jan. 29

At 3:48 p.m., a 33-year-old man not affiliated with Marquette interrupted mass at Gesu Church by reading scripture verses from the altar. DPS escorted the man out of the church and gave him a verbal warning not to reenter the building. He disobeyed the warning and attempted to reenter the church where he was detained by DPS. MPD was contacted and gave him another verbal warning. The man said he would not comply. MPD took the man into custody on charges of criminal trespassing and resisting and obstructing an officer.

Best of 2005:

Sept. 19

At 3 p.m., an employee reported that an unknown person removed her unsecured, unattached property estimated at $6 from Holthusen Hall.

Oct. 2

At 1:56 a.m., an 18-year-old male student was dumping cups of water out of a window in McCormick Hall onto bystanders. The student admitted to dumping water out the window. Upon investigation, DPS also discovered a female student hiding in the room.

Best of 2004:

April 1

At 6:32 p.m., a student reported that his ex-girlfriend was reading his email without his consent.

April 26

At 7:02 a.m., an employee reported that someone removed over $50 in quarters from the sanitary napkin machines from the woman’s bathroom in Cudahy Hall.

Best of 2003:

March 19

At 4:25 p.m., an employee in Sensenbrenner Hall reported receiving a suspicious phone call. The caller asked her if there were any chemical plants near campus and then hung up when she told them there are none.

Aug. 28

At 3:49 p.m., a student was injured in Johnston Hall and sought medical attention on her own.

Best of 2002:

Oct. 10

At 2:09 p.m., an employee was injured after falling in the 900 block of West Wisconsin Avenue. Medical assistance was declined.

Oct. 23

At 12:32 p.m., an employee reported suspicious circumstances in Cudahy.

Nov. 20

At 4 p.m., a visitor to campus purchased a beverage from a vending machine in Monitor Hall and got his hand stuck in the machine while trying to remove the beverage. DPS was able to release the victim’s hand. The victim was not injured.

Best of 2001:

Jan. 21

At 4:35 a.m., a student reported that an old pile of furniture was on fire in a backyard in the 900 block of North 14th Street. MFD was called and put out the fire.

Feb. 18

At 5:45 a.m., a student acted in a disorderly manner in the 800 block of North 17th Street.

Nov. 11

At 12:30 p.m., a golf cart driven by a student struck a juvenile not affiliated with Marquette in Valley Fields, causing minor injury to the juvenile.

Best of 2000:

Aug. 26

At 2:36 a.m., two students were seen causing $500 damage to a tree in the 800 block of North 16th Street.

Oct. 28

At 8:21 p.m., McCormick Hall staff reported suspicious circumstances in McCormick Hall. Upon investigation, it was determined that some students had violated university rules and regulations.