Marquette Radio News – Political Prowess

Marquette Radio News has been covering all sorts of politics this month!

First, we have the audio from our interview with the College Democrats, College Republicans, and the Coffee Party at Marquette. Representatives explained how they formed their political views and what they suggest our listeners know about politics.

Next, we have a brief synopsis of the political rallies that were held this month in Milwaukee. All politics aside, both events were a great introduction to someone who is, by no means, politically inclined.

Ann Romney: The potential future first lady joined Marquette students and Milwaukee Republicans in the Old Gym on Marquette’s campus last Thursday morning. Prior to her addressing the ardent crowd, attendees heard from several other noted Republicans active in Wisconsin politics. An interesting addition to the group of speakers was Paul Ryan’s sister-in-law, who told family stories that added a very human element to the afternoon. President Obama and his policies were only mentioned once, which was a refreshing change from the content of many Republican adds currently on television.

The theme of this rally was “Women for Mitt,” which went over well in a crowd of female Wisconsinites. The support for Romney’s running mate, Paul Ryan, was also palpable. The love and commitment to Wisconsin, which each speaker addressed in her own way, was amplified by the crowd. Each woman also talked about her personal commitment to family, which echos the sentiments of Mr. Romney. Because this rally was held on a college campus, there was much talk about the lack of career opportunities and mounting debt of college graduates. Overall, the rally was very personal and seemed more like a celebration of Mr. Romney’s character than a bid for his presidency.

Barack Obama: On Saturday, President Obama spoke at the Summerfest grounds. He addressed thousands of people whose support couldn’t be dampened by the interrupting rain storm. He discussed how glad he was to be so close to his home in Chicago, and how much he enjoyed Wisconsin. There were several prominent Democrats who spoke, and notable Wisconsinites such as member of the Green Bay Packers in attendance. He appealed to the crowd by discussing local venues and making jokes before easing into his political points.

President Obama stressed that his goals for the nation could not be achieved without four more years in office. He often mentioned Mr. Romney’s plans for the nation, but only refereed to him as “my opponent.” When the crowd reacted negatively, President Obama asked “don’t boo, vote.” This statement became the slogan of the rally, as he repeated it each time the crowd booed Mr. Romney.

President Obama quoted several statistics about his presidency, but the audience easily digested them with his adept delivery. Essentially, the crowd reacted favorably to his every word.

Conclusion: Both events were a meaningful way to make each candidate seem more relatable and less like an untouchable public figure. Their methods and policies are very different, but each campaign wants to do what is best for our nation. They simply have different ways of doing so and different ideas about what is truly best. The venues and people speaking created unique situations, but everyone was essentially arguing toward the same goal, both for the future president and for our nation.