Editor’s Note: Did we scare you?

I don’t know about you, but I hate sensationalism in the media. You know, stories that may not have a lot of backing to them but are used to scare people into thinking they need to watch or read a news story or else something horrible will happen to them. I’m sure you’ve seen it: “Something you do every day could increase your risk of cancer. More at 10.” They’re everywhere! There are even some magazines that plaster the words “Just when you thought you were safe” in big words on the cover. And only to make you pick up their filthy publication! Oh, wait … That was us.
    Crime on our campus is a serious topic, and it isn’t something to be taken lightly. Since the beginning of freshman year, students are constantly cautioned to take LIMOs, walk in groups and to be aware of their surroundings. So why, if the “editor-at-large” hates sensationalism so much, did the Journal sensationalize a topic that Marquette students are already familiar with?
    At the Journal, we believe in tough love. When crime rates are down, as they have been at the date of printing, people start to get complacent. People forget that crime sometimes happens in cities and they lose their sense of awareness. That’s why, before spring when crime rates usually rise, the Journal would like to deliver a good, clean reality check.
    Though what our cover might not convince you of is that Marquette has become a much safer campus than it was just a few years ago. We owe a lot to the Department of Public Safety and an increased presence of the Milwaukee Police Department for that. We can’t, however, let them replace our own awareness about crime.
    So be sure to read Sarah Krasin’s excellent article on campus crime (p. 14). Also, just to prove that this issue isn’t all about criminal activity, Caitlin Kavanaugh and various other contributors have put together a wonderful piece on technology and its growing use among our parents’ generation (p. 19). And just in time for March Madness, photographer Jaclyn Poeschl has contributed photos for a basketball photo feature (p. 22).
    So be safe, be aware and enjoy the spring Marquette Journal. We promise, it’s not all scary.

Sincerely,

Greg Shutters