Trend Alert Tuesday: Garter Your Heart

A couple days ago I was looking through my Instagram feed when I saw one of my favorite fashionistas wearing something quite interesting — a garter. I decided to go through lookbook and investigate this odd accessory and apparently garters are no longer for prom and weddings.

1 2 3 4 5 6

Click these links for more info (respectively).

Now I know these garters can seem a bit out of place (especially on a college campus), but there are ways to wear them and not have them look so aggressive. Wearing just one garter instead of both gives that instant edgy look without going overboard. Pairing them with very sheer tights or on bare skin adds a certain sexiness to a look. To make it more of a statement piece, wear it with a minimalistic outfit or with minimal jewelry. You can even use them to hold up knee high stockings or socks. There’s an even simpler way to style them and that is going with the garter style tights.

My thoughts on the garter trend: It isn’t very known yet but I think that it could catch on or completely fizzle out. I would definitely be interested in seeing how a more girly fashion blogger would style a garter because I feel that I see the garters more on the fashionistas that have a more grungy or funky wardrobe. Personally, I would invest in one (without spikes because I am definitely not that hard core) just to try my hand at styling it with my semi-girly wardrobe.  As for the garter tights, I LOVE THEM. I love that I can go out in a skirt, a pair of shorts, or in a dress in the fall and winter and rely on these tights to keep me warm and to keep me from looking like a complete lunatic in the winter. They are definitely going to be a staple in my fall and winter wardrobe and I just can’t wait to style the crap out of them.

So leave me a comment and let me know what YOU think about the garter trend. Do you like it? Do you hate it? Would you wear it? Would you stare at it? Is it too weird? How would you style it? Let me know! I’d love to hear from you all.

Happy Styling!

xoxo

• N

Natalie RagusinAug 27, 2013 at 11:32 pm

I love them! I wore them all last fall and winter! They make any outfit look more edgy and put together!