Style books to inspire you

Happy Monday!

While I find high fashion intriguing, and can see the artistic qualities that draw the super wealthy to collecting couture pieces, I can’t help but roll my eyes sometimes. It’s like wine snobs and beer junkies, art collectors and the agents on Selling New York, sometimes enough is enough.

I’m much more a street style gal. I love looking at the ways people wear certain pieces to define themselves, to me this is the defining artistic function of fashion. And I’m not afraid to admit I’m a little addicted to it.

Today, I want to share three style books that have inspired me to dress a little out of the ordinary, and from which I have gleaned a wealth of street fashion knowledge. None of the books are too expensive, and all are fun to have on your shelf to draw inspiration from when your imagination hits a rut.

Image taken from http://ruminationavenue.com/

I Love Your Style: I received this book as a gift last year, and devoured it in a single weekend. But it’s not one of those books you read once and then let gather dust on your bookshelf. No, this is an indispensable handbook for the style savvy girl. Rather than tell you what “category” you fit into (read: “classic,” “bohemian,” “tomboy”), I Love Your Style asks you to look at what you own, what you want to own and how to make it yours. I can’t say enough good things about this book, from stories of women and their individual style to shopping lists of basic items that every woman should own, Amanda Brooks has put together a darling book. That is really all there is to say about that. $14

Image taken from http://www.amazon.com/

The ELLEments of Personal Style: As opposed to a “keep on your nightstand” kind of book, The ELLEments of Personal Style is more a coffee table book, really pretty to look at with glossy paper and that break the spine sort of feel. But where you keep this book is secondary to the lovely women featured inside. Even if you’re not a fan of Elle Magazine (I’m not), The ELLEments is fun to flip through and features profiles of “It” women, including peaks inside their homes (which might be my favorite part). While I disagree with some of the editors picks of women to feature, I picked up some neat tips, which of course can be replicated on a less-than-celebrity-worthy budget. $20

Image taken from http://www.refinery29.com/

The Sartorialist: In a previous post  I mentioned my adoration for the lovely Garance Dore and the work that she and her husband, Scott Schuman do to capture street style around the world. The Sartorialist is based of off Schuman’s popular blog of the same name, and features hundreds upon hundreds of men and women doing what they do best, looking absolutely fabulous. Rather than instruct you with words, this book inspires you with images that will keep you on the lookout for that awesome handbag that the girl on page 254 is wearing or the tie that can be seen on page 125. the book was published in 2009, so it might seem a little old, but the trends inside are still completely relevant and rad. $17

What are your favorite style books?