Why Are “Leggings as Pants” Still A Thing?

Sigh. It’s winter here at Marquette, which, apparently in girl language means, “Break out the leggings and Uggs!” Tsk, tsk, ladies. You are singlehandedly ruining any sense of fashion that may have once been present here on campus. Okay, a little dramatic, but I’m still trying to understand any logic behind wearing leggings as pants…Real pants don’t take that much longer to put on; real pants are warmer; real pants don’t make visible every orifice you have south of your belly button.

Reality check ladies: Leggings. Are Not. Pants. Repeat after me: LEGGINGS ARE NOT PANTS. Trust me, your butts do not look good in leggings. Especially not while you’re trucking down Wisconsin Ave, trying to get to class (and even worse for those I see running desperately to make it on time). I’m sorry to have to point this out ladies; I have (what I think to be) a pretty nice butt myself, but that doesn’t mean I’m walking around with a thin piece of material covering it. Which brings me to another point: leggings aren’t even WARM. And it gets COLD here. So to review: leggings are not pants, nor are they flattering as pants, nor are they warm as pants. WHY are you still wearing them?

Never fear, though; Elle has a solution! Instead of leggings, wear skinny jeans! They literally come in 200 different colors, so I’m willing to bet there would be a pair (or 7) that you’d like.

(Courtesy of Google Images)

And you can find them anywhere! Have a car or time for the bus? Head over to Bayshore; H&M, American Eagle, and Gap are just a few of the stores that offer them there. Head to Grand Avenue Mall. Boston Store and TJ Maxx, among others, are some stores that are sure to have them at a great price. They’ll look like leggings, be warmer than leggings, and cover you more than leggings, so WHY WOULD YOU CHOOSE LEGGINGS OVER THEM? I’m just really trying to understand the logic. Sure I’ll wear leggings in the comfort of my own room, but never in public.