How to Fashionably Beat the Post-Christmas Break Boredom

Hello readers and happy Monday!

If you’re reading this then you’re a dedicated style blogee (read: fashionista, even though I hate that word), since most of my break has been spent off of technology, curled up with a book somewhere in my house.

Nevertheless, with Christmas behind us and New Years sneaking up in less than a week (yikes), you might be a little bored at home. If that’s the case, you came to the right place, because today I’ve picked out three  fun DIY projects for the fashion minded gal.

What better place to do a crafty project than at your house? No 45 minute bus trip to Target for supplies, plenty of space to sprawl out, no fear of the glue gun permanently marking up your dorm room carpet, resulting in an obscene bill at the end of the year.

Regardless of your skill in the area of DIY projects (I am absolutely horrid at them), here are a few that might tickle your fancy to beat the boredom that inevitably (at least for some) comes with being home for a month. Enjoy!

Image taken from http://honestlywtf.com/

1. DIY jeweled heels: When I found out that these Miu Miu-esque heels originated from a drab pair of black stilettos, I immediately decided that whoever created them was way more skilled than me and I shouldn’t even try. Wrong. All you need are rhinestones, some hardcore glue and some tweezer placement precision skills. Voila! The perfect New Years Eve heel. Best part? Nobody else at the party will have them and they look perfect with that little black dress.

image taken from http://www.ispy-diy.com/

2. DIY color oxfords: I’m a geek for color in the winter. Which I think is why I can’t wait to try this to a pair of my old oxfords, if there’s one thing that rules, it’s standing out in a sea of black and brown in the endless Milwaukee winter street scene.  The concept is pretty simple: tape up your shoe, spray paint the front silver and paint the sole a color of your choice. Personally, I think I might just paint the soles, and use a bright yellow or rust color paint. Don’t have a pair of oxfords you say? Fortunately Urban Outfitters has a rad pair or two you can pick up for fairly cheap.

3. DIY color block pants: I saw these a while ago on my favorite DIY blog of all time, Honestly WTF, and have since been trying to get up the courage to try it. First, I don’t want to completely ruin a pair of pants if I mess up, and second I don’t want to be the only one at Marquette wearing them. But I think the idea is fabulous. I might use a pair of white cut-offs and a red for the color blocking for the summer, or just cuff a pair of loose-fitting chinos and paint the cuff a forrest green for the winter, since I cuff all my pants anyway regardless of the season. What do you think?

For more DIY fashion projects, here are a few websites that you might want to check out.

In the meantime, I expect to see some rad new looks when we get back to campus in January!