The Higher the Heels…

Historically, the higher one’s heels meant the wealthier that person was. Heels were meant to spare him (that’s right, men wore high heels) or her from getting his/her clothes dirty from all of the grime and waste on the streets (this was before any organized system of sanitation…can you imagine?).

Photo courtesy of Google Images

However, as time went on and the streets got cleaner, the men stopped wearing them and, consequently, we ladies were less threatened, as we realized how short some of them actually are. Henceforth (big word), heels have become somewhat of an empowering piece for women; after all, it takes a strong person to wear those things…they can be very uncomfortable!

Now, there are different heel heights to consider once you’ve decided to commit to them. I’ve broken them down into three categories to keep it simple for you.

First, we have the 1-2 inch heels…no. This heels don’t even look good, much less are any more comfortable than higher heels. The stubby heels on these babies are even more unstable than their slender counterparts, and made you look like you should be walking down the aisle for your First Communion. My advice? Stay. A. Way.

Photo From amazon.com

Next, we have the 3-4 inch heels; these are the type of heels you should aim for. It may take some practice keeping balance and adjusting to the pain, but man up, girl! Heels are fun! And they make your legs look really good—it’s like a mini-workout when you’re going out! Can’t get much better than that. These are safe because, while they give you a lot of added height, they generally aren’t overwhelming or out of control.

Photos from amazon.com

Finally we have the 5-6 inch heels…sigh. These are reeeeeeally tricky to pull off. These, guaranteed, are the culprits behind the times you see girls walking around awkwardly and gingerly, as if that next step might just shatter the ground beneath them. You’d be good in these heels for about 3 minutes, but after those 3, you’ll want to rip your feet of, as that might be less painful. These heels just LOOK scary, much less feel somewhat awful, so unless you’re willing to expose yourself to foot problems later in life, I wouldn’t recommend wearing these often. I suppose my bias against these comes from my always being taller than most people around me, so I’ve never really needed them. But I guess the height-challenged population deserves to feel big, too?

Photos from amazon.com and amiclubwear.com, respectively

I know what you’re thinking, her blog must be done. There can’t be any heels about 6.5 inches available for non-“working” girls…but au contraire, my friends. There is one more relevant category of heels, reserved only for the best of the best. The amazing, wonderful goddess herself (and my personal inspiration, in case you couldn’t tell) Lady GaGa has popularized the…12 inch heel!

Photo courtesy of Google Images

However, an amateur Lady GaGa is not. She has gradually built up her foot pain tolerance (among other things) before resorting to the foot-tall heels. This sounds more like a torture device than a fashion statement, but I’d be willing to try them out, since my idol loves them so. But then I’d be like 6’8” and like, the tallest person in Wisconsin and I don’t think I’m ready for that just yet…

Photo courtesy of Google Images

Overall, it all comes down to your personal preference. I’m no expert (but I’m usually right); I’m just trying to save you from looking like a second grader or (on the other end of the spectrum), constipated.