Work Hard, Play Harder

CLIMB

From concerts to comedians, Turner Hall hosts a plethora of outlets to entertain yourself. They also offer ways to stay in shape. So here’s an idea—try both and go rock climbing. It offers a fun, calorie-burning challenge. Who knew that existed? Not to mention there is a student discount on Saturdays and Sundays.

Calories: Rock climbing 350 calories in 30 minutes 

Mucles: Forearms, Calves, Abs 

Stop by Turner Hall, 1034 N. Fourth St. 

BIKE

Find a tandem bicycle and bike to class, basketball games or even the lake on a fall day. Milwaukee County Transit is not the only moving vehicle to rule the road.  There is no doubt that you will be the most recognizable bikers on campus. Can you imagine how many people would dart out of the way when they see a tandem bike around Central Mall? You will dominate the pathways through campus with this bike built for two. If you’re really feeling ambitious, start giving people rides on campus when the LIMOs are taking forever.

Calories: 270 calories in 30 minutes 

Muscles: Legs

Buy one at Crank Daddy’s on 2170 N. Prospect Ave. or rent one at Milwaukee Bike & Skate Rental down at Veteran’s Park, 1750 N. Lincoln Memorial Dr.

RIDE

For those of you who are looking for an extreme sport, try riding the mechanical bull at Red Rock. This will give you a prime opportunity to work out your arms and focus on balance. Be prepared to hold on for dear life and embrace the fact that you will not beat the bull. It’s a great place to go, especially when live bands are playing and both bars are open.  The bull operator will be surprised when you let him know this is your workout routine.

Calories: 200 in 30 minutes (more like 20 calories in 3 minutes)

Muscles: Forearms, Quads, Improved Balance

Give it a go at 1227 N. Water St.

PEDAL

You can’t graduate from Marquette without a ride on the Milwaukee Pedal Tavern. Gather together up to 15 of your friends and bike the streets of Milwaukee while stopping at some of the trendiest bars including The Wicked Hop, the Milwaukee Ale House and Club Charlie’s. In the midst of all the fun, you will be toning your legs as you stop at some of the best local bars.

Calories: 250 in 30 minutes (depends on how much you contribute to the biking) 

Muscles: Legs and perhaps some arms from lifting the beers.

Reserve your spot by calling or texting (414) 405-6682 

RELAY

Have a relay up and down the stairs of your dorm. It’s a great way to bond with those in your residence hall, while burning some major calories. Create an Olympic Challenge to tackle the 12 floors in McCormick or the 18 floors in Straz.  The last person on your team should run the floors from top to bottom.

Calories: 200 calories in 20 minutes 

Muscles: Legs