Play, laugh, burn calories–all winter long

By: Colleen DuVall

One of the biggest challenges during the winter: finding the motivation to keep up with an exercise routine. Like bears, the urge to hole-up and hibernate is strong. But part of the trick is to shake things up and try something new. A workout that feels more like play than exercise can be the perfect solution.

Speaking of play, the holidays make you feel like a little kid again – so embrace it. Bundle up and get out in the snow. Once you get out and start moving at a brisk pace, you’ll wake up and feel invigorated. Plus, there’s always the bonus of treating yourself to a toasty hot coffee or cocoa (minus the whip, please) after.

If you’re a gym junkie (or striving to be), lots of workout facilities offer free trial memberships with no obligation to join. Interested in a group fitness class? Try Tai-Chi. It offers both strength training and stress busting. The T’ai Chi Chuan Center of Milwaukee has been around for over 30 years. They have introductory two hour workshops for just $10 before each new session of classes.

The Wisconsin Athletic Club, also affectionately known as, “The WAC,” often offers a free one week trial membership with excellent facilities and many locations to choose from.

Other inexpensive options: exercise DVDs at your local library. They offer everything from salsa dancing to pole dancing, so there’s no reason not to have fun. Plus, you’re guaranteed a good laugh while working up a sweat.

For those who are just aching for some rainforest weather or desert heat, but cannot afford the exotic getaway, try taking a stroll in the Mitchell Park Conservatory Domes. If you’re prone to sinus troubles when the temperatures take a dive, you’ll certainly breathe easier after a good 30 minutes in the Tropical Dome. Added bonus: student discounts are available!

And lastly, if you can’t beat the bitter cold, join it. Rent some skis at Les Moise Ski, Tennis & Snowboard at 151 W. Silver Spring Drive in Whitefish Bay. For a mere $15.00 you can head over to Schlitz Audubon Nature Center for an invigorating, scenic, cross-country ski. Incidentally, this is one of the top calorie burners around.

Enjoy your holiday break– and stay healthy while doing so. Cheers!