A Modernized Classic Halloween

We all know the famed Mean Girls saying: “In the real world, Halloween is when kids dress up in costumes and beg for candy. In Girl World, Halloween is the one day a year when a girl can dress up like a total slut and no other girls can say anything else about it.” But even if it is Halloween, do you really want that reputation? Don’t worry, this isn’t some generic “value yourself,” “you deserve better,” “self-worth,” blah blah blah message, but more of an “I don’t really wanna see  your lady (or male) parts all out while I’m trying to enjoy my Halloween night” rant. So instead of dressing like a mouse (duh) in lingerie and ears, I’m going to give you some other, classier options that are still fun and sexy, without making you look like you should be making out with your cousin (first or second).

However, as Lindsay Lohan couldn’t do in the movie (or in real life, let’s be honest), I’m here to show you how to make the scary, sexy. Ever seen a sexy ghost (not this kind, unless you want it to be) or ghoul?

(Google Images)

How about a fashion-forward skeleton?

Rick Genest (Google Images)

Well short of tattooing your entire body, here are some options to take the classic Halloween icons and make them modern.

Wife of Frankenstein: 

Big hair, big hair, big hair. I can’t emphasize this enough, so I’ll say it one more time: BIG HAIR. Break out the teasing combs and hairspray and just go nuts. Throw on a white shift dress, some black tights, and black booties. Pair it with deep red lipstick and dark eye makeup, and your look is….is….it’s ALIIIIVE.

(http://www.bonanza.com/listings/9811-Women-Pointed-Collar-Velvet-3-4-Sleeve-Black-White-Dress-S-M-L/67668351?gpid=41279011741&gpkwd=&goog_pla=1&as=score_threshold_3&gclid=CKPL44vMiLMCFdEWMgodtDMALA)

Pumpkin:

This one seems pretty easy, so Halloween underachievers, I’m talking to you. All you have to do for this look is wear ORANGE, and lots of it. If you want to avoid looking like a prison escapee, I suggest keeping it short and girly. If you really wanted, you could add a green headband and, once again, black tights (it’s cold in October in Wisconsin!) and chunky motorcycle boots. Do not, I repeat, DO NOT wear calf-leggings like those in this picture, though. Calf-leggings are ALWAYS a no-no. (I’m just trying to watch out for y’all—they’re super unflattering on everyone!)

(http://www.sierratradingpost.com/belted-woven-dress-short-sleeve-for-women~p~3387v/?utm_source=GoogleBase&utm_medium=PaidShopping&utm_term=Belted_Woven_Dress_-_Short_Sleeve_For_Women&utm_campaign=PCGOOGLEB2&codes-processed=true)

Ghost/Ghoul: 

You don’t have to completely cover up like those ladies at the top of this post to portray a ghost this Halloween—think sheer, and lots of it.

(http://www.etsy.com/listing/89847966/black-sheer-silk-hooded-dress?utm_source=googleproduct&utm_medium=syndication&utm_campaign=GPS&gclid=CIKqv6TOiLMCFQpgMgodAQgALg)

I love that this one even has a hood, making it more chic and scary at the same time. Anything sheer and flow-y would work for a fashionable ghost costume.

Skeleton:

Lastly, we have the chic skeleton costume. Last year, my friend went as a Día de Los Muertes-inspired skeleton and looked like this:

Photo courtesy of Elizabeth Gehringer

All she did was lay on the black makeup (you can get a black makeup crayon at almost any store that sells Halloween things or makeup) and wear clothes in deep colors (she wore a lacy deep burgundy top paired with a black skirt). Take ANY piece of clothing in this color

(www.asos.com)

(or a similar dark berry color) and pair it with black, and you’re set. The makeup really makes this outfit.

Or you could always add something with skulls on it to be more blunt (see: http://marquettejournal.org/blogs/trending-topics/how-to-wear-skulls/, my first blog post).

Halloween is right around the corner, and hopefully these fun, modern ways to spice up Halloween classics help you come up with a great costume! While you may be asked a couple times what you are, (some people just don’t understand fashion…) it’s better than being asked “how much?” every time you walk past a creepy Milwaukee native in your lingerie and mouse ears.