Staying Sane: Midterm Week

Source: http://dft.ba/-29dY

Fall midterm week is well underway and stress levels have been climbing. Here are 5 tips to get you through the dreaded next few days.

1.) Organization is key

I’m not saying that you need to have your whole life in perfect order, especially if  you’re not one that is organized to begin with. Instead, focus on keeping the most important things organized: notes, dates, assignments, extra curriculars, etc. If you think about it, what you really need to keep track of may only be a few things.

2.) Flashcards are your friend

I know, I know, we’re in college now so  you may think that you’ve outgrown this basic study tool. But hear me out – they can move the studying process along faster than re-reading notes over and over. They work especially well if you take a long time to memorize facts. Yes, you have to write them up, but just writing what you need to know will start to help you remember it better. With large amounts of academic material, you may think that you have to make flashcards for every page of notes you have. You don’t. Stick to vocabulary terms, major points, and things that weren’t able to stick or make sense to you right away.

3.) Consider the reward system

If you plan to make yourself sit through a few hours of non-stop studying, you might be more likely to put it off till the last minute. Split  up your work with short breaks every half hour or so. That way you’ll have something to look forward to as you plow through your notes. You can get your energy up by dancing to a few songs, take a walk, eat, nap, or draw. Just try to avoid things that can keep you distracted longer than you intend to be. Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Tumblr – I’m looking at you.

4.) Imagine the best result

Picture yourself getting a good grade. Think about how relieving that feels. The satisfaction you get from knowing that your hard work paid off. This mindset is more motivating than the typical “I”m gonna fail” because once you remember what success feels like, I’m pretty sure that you’ll want to do whatever it takes to feel it again.

5.) Remember that it will end

Repeat after me: “Next week is fall break”