Inside the Life of an Entrepreneurial Fashionista

Photo provided by Amy Levin

Meet Amy Levin, an entrepreneurial fashionista, alumna of Indiana University and the force behind the renowned fashion blog, CollegeFashionista. This past summer I had the privilege of interning for Amy as a Style Guru for Marquette University’s campus. As a Style Guru my role was to photograph fashionable students across campus and write weekly features about their outfits that were posted on the blog. All interns also had the opportunity to participate in twitter chats with the likes of designer Rebecca Minkoff, Seventeen Magazine and Wet Seal.

At the end of my internship I was able to talk with Amy over the phone about career advice, her passion for fashion and her go-to outfit for fall! Coming straight from a meeting (no doubt with someone fabulous) Amy took the time to answer my questions and left me more excited than ever to pursue a career in the fashion industry.

EG: Why were you interested in the fashion industry?

AL: It was a combination of loving fashion and always being intrigued by magazines, shopping and the ability to express yourself through what you’re wearing.

EG: What is your go-to outfit for a day at CollegeFashionista?

AL: I love leather pants (or shorts) and a white T-shirt, cool leather loafers or a great pair of heals.

EG: When first entering the fashion industry, how did you develop your personal style while remaining professional?

AL: I’m constantly in meetings, so I’ve become more refined and sophisticated than I was in college. Now I’ve transitioned to more versatile investment pieces.

EG: What are some of your fall wardrobe staple pieces?

AL: Definitely a great coat like a blazer or an over-sized wool jacket, leather staple (fitted leather pants), printed trousers and a good white basic that you can dress up or down.

EG: What types of internships should someone look for if they want a career in the fashion industry?

AL: There’s no one specific internship. Just getting as much diverse experience as possible. If you work in a PR firm one summer, intern for a publication the next, (it’s a good way) to get a full grasp on all different jobs in the industry.

EG: Do you have any other words of wisdom for aspiring Fashionistas or Fashionistos entering the world of fashion?

AL: Whatever your calling is or whatever you’re passionate about is important because you have to love what you’re doing to get up and do it 15-hours a day. If you’re passionate about what you’re doing, you’re going to be successful.