How you can boost your metabolism–while studying for finals!

Finals suck. For more reasons than the obvious. You are imprisoned to the indoors to study. Your body goes into hibernation mode from all the bundled layers (but really, how else will you survive the bone-chilling wind?). And you are practically a vegetable, sitting all day in an over-sized leather chair starring at your computer. It’s times like these that call for comfort food: heavy pasta, hot chocolate, cream-based soup, heavy pasta…

So, if your finals schedule won’t allow an hour at the Rec Center, consider some of these instant metabolism boosters:

1) Fidget. According to Reader’s Digest, people who drum their fingers or bounce their knee burn at least 500 calories a day. That’s almost a pound a week.

2) Sip coffee: A couple cups throughout the day increases the rate that your body burns calories. But we’re not talking about calorically-dense mocha frappucinos with extra whip. Keep it simple–black with low fat creamer (if any). And nix the espresso if it keeps you up at night.

3) Chug water: Sorry to sound cliche but this is the number one metabolism booster. Need a reminder? Put five rubber bands around your wrist. Take one off for every water bottle you drink. Tip: Add ice cubes. The icy chill will refresh you at 2 a.m.

4) Power walk: Whether you’re walking inside or outdoors, walk with a purpose. It’s a bonus that your backpack is filled to capacity. This adds weight, which will help you burn calories.

Study break: Power walk a lap around Raynor library through Central Mall. Studies show that you burn more calories exercising outside. Plus, the brisk air will fresh you.

5) Snack frequently: It’s a fact–yo-yo dieting and self-starvation does NOT work. In fact, it slows down your metabolism because your body is trying to conserve units of energy (since you’re not giving it any). Try five to six small meals a day that are protein packed. Studies suggest that protein can increase your metabolism, as well. Pack up carrot sticks, hummus, wheat crackers and hard boiled eggs.

Thanks for reading. Happy studying!