NFL Playoff Predictions

It seems like just yesterday we were debating whether there would even be a NFL season. But somehow, the NFL regular season flew by, and it is already time for the Thursday slate of Thanksgiving football games. With 6 games remaining, the playoff situations in the AFC and NFC are as tight as they have been in years.

In the AFC, there are currently 6 teams fighting for the two wild card spots, along with the divisional races in the AFC North and West. In the NFC, there are very tight races going on in the NFC East and South. Despite all the parody, I am going to save you the trouble and tell you who will make the playoffs right now.

In the AFC, the Patriots and Texans are in control of their divisions. Houston, despite the loss of quarterback Matt Schuab for the rest of the regular season, still has the best running game and arguably the best wide receiver in the NFL. In the AFC North, the Ravens and Steelers are currently tied at 7-3 but the Ravens should hold on to the division because the Ravens have a favorable schedule and also own the tiebreaker over the Steelers. The AFC West division is a mess, with Oakland leading at 6-4. I see them holding on simply because the Chiefs (4-6), Chargers (4-6), and Broncos (5-5) are not as talented as the Raiders. The wild card is a bit trickier–but in the end I believe the Steelers and the Jets will win the wild card spots. Although the Jets offense has been abysmal all season, I believe that their defense will hold strong and carry them into the playoffs.
    The NFC is far simpler. The main divisional race is in the NFC East. The Giants and Cowboys both stand at 6-4 and have yet to play each other. I think the Cowboys will take this division because they have an easier schedule and a better defense. In the NFC South race, I think New Orleans Saints will pull away, even though it’s a tight race. But the big question is who will get the wild card spots.

The Bears and Lions are both 7-3. I believe that even without quarterback Jay Cutler, the Bears have an excellent defense and running back in Matt Forte. The Bears also play 4 games against Denver, Kansas City, Oakland, and Seattle. The Lions are very talented, but are inconsistent and tend to get behind in games. I still do not buy into their running back core, and their defense has holes in the secondary.

The Falcons and Giants are also 6-4. The Falcons are probably the most balanced offense in the NFL, but their defense is extremely questionable. The Giants have the toughest schedule out of these teams, including games against the Jets, the Cowboys (twice), the Saints, and the Packers. When it is all said and done, I think the Bears and Falcons will be the two teams left standing.