How to beat the winter blues

Bitter cold and grey skies are sure to cause a little bit of sadness in January. But when does sadness become SAD, seasonal affective disorder? This winter-onset depression usually fades by the summer months, but what are we Wisconsin-folk to do until then? Dyani Saxby at the Counseling Center, sheds some light on the issue.

MJ: What causes SAD?

DS: We do not know exactly what causes the disorder, but factors such as genetics, age, gender and individual differences can play a role as well as shortened daylight hours.

MJ: What are the symptoms of SAD?

DS: Symptoms of depression that have a seasonal pattern including: sadness, loss of interest in activities, changes in appetite or weight, trouble sleeping or sleeping too much, moving slowly, restlessness, fatigue, feeling worthless, trouble concentrating and suicidal thoughts.  Symptoms can vary from person to person, so not everyone will have all of the symptoms and they may manifest in different ways.

MJ: How is SAD different than clinical depression and anxiety? 

DS: SAD is actually a form of major depression that has a specific seasonal pattern.  Symptoms of anxiety can co-occur with depression as with any other disorder.

MJ: I read that SAD can be both in the winter and the summer months. Which is more prevalent? Why?

DS: Episodes occur more frequently in the fall and winter months most likely due to fewer hours of daylight.

MJ: Would you say SAD is common among Marquette students?

DS: It is likely to be as common at Marquette as any college campus in the northern part of the U.S. where the disorder is most prevalent.  Although people of all ages can have the disorder, typical age of onset is between 18 and 30.  One study found that students moving to the north from southern states may be at higher risk for developing the disorder (Low and Feissner, 1998).

MJ: What activities or aspects of a college students’ lifestyle can exacerbate or worsen SAD?

DS: College life can be stressful and, in general, stress can exacerbate most forms of mental illness.  Lack of sleep and irregular sleep patterns can worsen symptoms.  Alcohol and illicit substances have been shown to worsen symptoms as well.

MJ: Why should students take the symptoms of SAD seriously?

DS: Any symptoms that cause distress, impair functioning, or lead to suicidal thinking should be taken seriously as such symptoms can interfere with different aspects of life such as academic performance and interpersonal relationships.

MJ: If a student suspects he or she has SAD, what do you (as a professional) recommend they do?

DS: As mentioned above, if symptoms are impairing functioning, causing distress, or suicidal thoughts, they should seek professional help.

MJ: Why should a student with SAD seek treatment if the disorder is technically “short term?”

DS: The fall and winter months comprise about half the year; consequently, if one experiences symptoms related to this disorder, it makes sense to seek treatment if symptoms are significantly interfering with functioning or causing discomfort.  In addition, one should always seek help if s/he is experiencing suicidal thoughts.

MJ: How can a student treat SAD without medication or formal counseling?

DS: Exposure to sources of natural light can be helpful.  Also, they could try to stay physically active and stay engaged with friends and activities for support.  If a student is experiencing suicial thinking or impairments in functioning he or she should seek professional help.

MJ: I read that light therapy is typical for those diagnosed with SAD. Is there a form of light therapy a student can try outside of visiting a tanning bed, which can increase their risk for skin cancer?

DS:  There are light boxes that do not emit harmful UV rays.

MJ: What does the counseling center offer for students experiencing SAD?

DS: If a student is experiencing symptoms they can call and schedule an intake appointment and discuss recommendations for treatment.  Treatment can include counseling, medication or light therapy.  Sometimes a combination of treatments is recommended.

MJ: Is group therapy for students with SAD available?

DS: There is not a group specifically for this disorder at the Counseling Center; however, an intake appointment can help determine whether one of our groups could be helpful.

MJ: What are some preventative strategies students can implement to avoid SAD?

DS: Practicing good self-care such as eating a balanced diet, getting enough sleep, getting regular exercise, avoiding or reducing alcohol consumption and staying engaged with a support system can sometimes be helpful.

***

Low KG, Feissner JM. 1998. Seasonal affective disorder in college students: prevalence and latitude. Journal of College Health 47: 135-137.