MBA: 3 letters that make the difference

photo credit: Rebecca French/AJ Trela

“Successful” is a word aspiring business students hope to one day use when describing their careers. But for many institutions promising such a future, the idea of success is sometimes just an admissions tool used to attract potential students. The exception to this occurs when the high-spirited terminology on the brochure actually translates into real world success.

Just look at Edward Sendele.

With two semesters before graduation, Sendele first made the decision to pursue his master’s of business administration at Marquette based on factors like reputation and alumni networks. But, with a degree now in reach, Sendele plans on moving up the business ladder at Sears Corporation after a recent promotion to regional technical manager.

“(The M.B.A.) rounds you out to understand all aspects of the business,” Sendele said. “I hope to take my current position along with a new M.B.A. to leverage a director position next year.”

Stories like this aren’t uncommon among students in Marquette’s business programs. In fact, since the Graduate School of Management’s establishment in 2006, several of these programs have reached levels of national prestige.

In the 2012 U.S. News and World Report’s ranking of the country’s best business programs, Marquette’s part-time M.B.A. program was ranked in the top 20 and the Executive M.B.A. program was ranked in the top 50. The Graduate Entrepreneurship program earned the ranking of 24th best in the nation.

The reason for these numbers start with the faculty. David King, associate professor of management, points out the quality and real world experience of professors.

On the other hand, Dr. Linda Salchenberger, dean of the College of Business Administration, attributes the rankings to a global perspective, ethics and strong community of faculty and students. All three echo the enduring sentiment of Marquette’s mission-based approach to education.

“We believe that our programs are successful because we are mission-driven, that is, we focus on educating ethical and socially responsible global leaders,” Salchenberger said.

More than flashy marketing on an admissions pamphlet, the Marquette mission is, without a doubt, a key reason why students choose Marquette.

From freshman year onward, Marquette’s mission statement is engrained into every student’s mind. The mission itself becomes a basis upon which students pursue their education and eventually live out their future careers. Jacqueline Keidel, a 2010 graduate of the College of Arts & Sciences and current Marquette M.B.A. student, wouldn’t have it any other way.

“The best part about an M.B.A. from Marquette is that it entails so much more than a piece of paper,” Keidel said. “Marquette’s M.B.A. program does an amazing job of showing students that we can be phenomenally successful while still conducting ethical business practices and serving others.”

With an endorsement like that, “successful” may be a word Marquette can legitimately use to describe its business programs for years to come.the demand for products is so high.”