OneLove Marquette spreads awareness on Domestic Violence

The One Love chapter at Marquette, which was started earlier this year, is looking for students who are interested in educating their peers about healthy relationships.
One+Love+Marquette+uses+their+instagram+platform+to+spread+awareness.+%0A%0APhoto+courtesy+of+One+Love+Marquette.+
One Love Marquette uses their instagram platform to spread awareness. Photo courtesy of One Love Marquette.

A new One Love Chapter has made its way to Marquette’s campus this semester. The national One Love Foundation was founded following the 2010 death of 22-year-old University of Virginia lacrosse player, Yeardly Love, who was murdered by her ex-boyfriend. Yeardly’s mother Sharon Love, alongside her other daughter Lexie created the foundation in the same year to help empower young people with the knowledge to identify and avoid abusive relationships.

Clare Cooke, a senior in the College of Communication and the president of One Love’s chapter at Marquette, decided earlier this year that she wanted to bring Love’s story to Milwaukee. This semester will mark the club’s first full semester on campus.

“I have been waiting since I came to Marquette to start [this club],” Cooke said. “So last year, I met with the student organizations at Marquette and said, ‘Let’s do this thing.’” 

Cooke said the chapter currently posts relationship violence awareness resources on their Instagram page for students to learn from. She said the group’s goals for the year are to get more posts out, host fundraisers, bring in guest speakers and host workshops with the national organization.

Around 1 in 5 college students report having been abused in their relationship, with victims predominantly being women. 25% of female students are sexually assaulted during their college tenure and nearly 30% of female murder victims ages 18-24 were killed by their romantic partners.

“I think the goal with starting [the chapter] here at Marquette was to make a safe space community for people to share their stories or share tips, advice, and just talk about [relationship abuse],” Cooke said. “The more you talk about it, the more it’s in your mind of what to look for and how you could save someone’s life.”

Cooke is a native of Baltimore, where the One Love Foundation is based. She said reading Love’s story in high school resonated with her and kickstarted her involvement with the organization. 

Two other students shared Cooke’s passions about creating healthy relationships: Kristen Almazan, a junior in the College of Arts & Sciences and vice president, and Nicole Benedict, a sophomore in the College of Business Administration and membership and marketing chair. 

“I just really liked the idea because I haven’t heard of a club like this and it’s something I’m passionate about,” Benedict said. “So when [Clare] said she started it, I knew I wanted to get involved.” 

Almazan’s sorority, Alpha Chi Omega, led to her involvement with One Love. She said AXO’s philanthropy is domestic violence awareness, so she talked with Cooke earlier in the year and offered to help start the One Love chapter at Marquette. 

“Prior to college I wasn’t really aware about domestic violence awareness, but here I feel like I’ve learned a lot, and I feel like it is important in all aspects of our lives. I think it’s something very beneficial to teach people about and it’s something I’m pretty passionate about,” Almazan said.  

The members currently involved in One Love’s Marquette chapter are working to educate students on healthy versus unhealthy relationships, but Cooke says they would appreciate additional help. She said they are always accepting new members, and anyone is welcome. Interested students can get involved by reaching out to Almazan, Benedict or Cooke directly via email.

“Our club, as small as it might seem, does have the ability to change and save someone’s life.” Cooke said. “You never know what someone is going through … with ‘cura personalis,’ you’re caring for the whole person. You’re caring for everyone and making sure that you’re spreading the love.”

This story was written by Mia Thurow. She can be reached at [email protected].