Student Senate drafts resolution to make laundry free at MU

+
Photo by Trinity Zapotocky

A resolution to help alleviate the costs of laundry services at Marquette passed through the Marquette University Student Senate Monday, Sept. 18.

What is the resolution?

If adopted, the resolution would provide all full-time undergraduate students living in campus residence halls and Marquette-owned off-campus apartments with five washing and five drying cycles every week throughout the academic year.

How much is laundry at Marquette?

Each washing and drying cycle costs $1.50 each. On Tuesdays and Thursdays, each cycle costs $1.25.

What did the resolution need to pass?

The resolution needed to pass through the Senate with a two-thirds majority. It passed with eight senators in favor, one against and one abstained.

What’s next for the resolution?

Though it passed through the Student Senate, the resolution will still have to be adopted by university administration before it could take effect.

Who supports the resolution?

The resolution was authored by Marquette University Student Government’s Legislative Vice President Lori Martinez. The bill was also sponsored by various student organizations such as Marquette Democrats, Marquette College Republicans, Be the Match Organization and Marquette Fencing Club.

Do other universities offer free laundry?

Loyola University Chicago, Saint Louis University and Xavier University all offer free laundry services to students living in campus residence halls. Those Jesuit institutions, along with eight others, are listed in the resolution.

This story was written by Megan Woolard. She can be reached at [email protected].