DREWEL: Concerts require respect

In the almost two decades I’ve been alive, I have attended about 15 concerts. I am by no means an expert on live music, but I love it a lot and there is nothing I wouldn’t do for a ticket. However, in the past few years I’ve noticed that the experience is becoming less enjoyable both for the fans and the artists. Mainly because of a lack of concert etiquette from younger generations.

When I attend a concert, it’s to have a good time with people who are celebrating the same music that gets me through life. We have to take care of ourselves, each other and the musicians so these experiences can keep happening for years to come.  

Before going to a concert, remember to sleep well, eat a good meal and hydrate. It shouldn’t be the responsibility of the artist to stop the show if someone faints, and it is not the responsibility of the venue to provide free water to the audience. It’s very kind when they do but for some venues that simply isn’t possible and shows can be so crowded that it’s easy for artists to miss something. 

A study by the New England Journal of Medicine said people faint at concerts because of the prolonged periods of standing, hyperventilating and feelings of claustrophobia. We know our bodies better than anyone else and we need to remember to take care of them. In the event of experiencing any of these feelings, leave the pit or stands, find a safe place to sit and drink water. 

We also have to take care of each other. If someone goes down, pick them up and escort them somewhere safe. We are all trying to have fun but it won’t be if someone gets hurt. 

I know there are some artists who read signs and respond to them, but don’t block the view of everyone around. Nowadays, tickets are incredibly expensive and I didn’t pay to see a piece of paper for two hours. Put it down until the time comes. 

The same goes for phones. Live in the moment. I want to watch Taylor Swift sing “Cruel Summer” live instead of seeing her magnified and blurry through an iPhone. We need to be conscious of the people around us, including the artists. 

Recently there was a surge of fans throwing things onstage and hitting singers. Everyone from Harry Styles and Billie Eilish to Cardi B and Lil Nas X.

It’s gotten to the point where artists have started making statements. Adele recently said “Throw something at me and I’ll f—ing kill you.” Despite the pedestal of fame we’ve put them on, musicians are people just like us and we must respect them.

Having mutual respect will build stronger relationships between singer and audience. The Artist-Fan Engagement Model explains that connecting through social media and concerts fosters stronger bonds. We, as fans, feel intertwined with our idols and theyin turn, have people who appreciate their work and sustain the lifestyle they want to live. The entire situation creates a symbiotic relationship where everyone is happy.

Going to events like concerts and music festivals is a privilege and we need to start treating it as such. There is no way live music will survive unless we start taking accountability for our actions. We must start caring for ourselves, for each other and for the artists we are celebrating.

This story was written by Izzy Fonfara Drewel. She can be reached at [email protected].