Students find enjoyment in everyday employment

Photo by Maddy Andresen
Daniel Dewald, a junior in the College of Health Sciences, and Katie Ruszkowski, a sophomore in the College of Arts & Sciences, interact at Raynor Library.

Sitting at your job while staring at the clock, counting the seconds and watching the minutes go by may not be considered a “fun” activity. But today, Fun at Work Day, encourages everyone to have fun at work.

With a plethora of jobs on campus, the Marquette Wire talked to various students to find out how they might find the little things to enjoy or have fun with during work.

Daniel Dewald, a junior in the College of Health Sciences, is in his second semester working as a graduate information assistant at one of the desks in Raynor Library.

“I’m a (biomedical sciences) major, so I’m always doing homework and doing stuff here, so I figured I might as well as apply for a job in the library and get some money for it,” Dewald said. “Books have always interested me, so it was a good opportunity.”

Over time, Dewald said he came to find fun in spending time with his co-workers, with whom he eventually became friends. They make small talk and have bonded over the shared experience of working at the desk. He recalled a time where someone was having trouble with a color printer, which he considered a funny experience. 

“The whole problem solving we thought was kind of funny,” Dewald said. “We didn’t know what to do but the librarian was busy, and we were trying to figure it out.”

To celebrate Fun at Work Day, he said he’ll try to wear a funny hat.

Lexy Bauernhuber, a junior in the College of Health Sciences, said she had a job when she was 15 years old that she still considers the most fun job she has had. It was for a company that printed Culver’s apparel, and she had to order the plush toys and all the Culver’s swag and send it to different Culver’s locations.

“I was a shipping queen,” Bauernhuber said. “I felt like Santa.”

She said the job was fun because it was so random, and every day was different — and they always got Culver’s food.

Bauernhuber is also a resident assistant. She said that the job is fun because she gets to work with people and make the underclassmen feel more comfortable. The resident assistant position is a little more unconventional than a normal job given that she lives where she works.

Another unconventional workplace on campus is a gross anatomy lab, where Rachel Knorr, a senior in the College of Health Sciences, works as a teaching assistant.

“I really like anatomy. It’s one of my favorite subjects, and usually with anatomy, people want to learn about it more, and I like teaching and passing on knowledge,” Knorr said.

For Knorr, teaching in the lab is always fun. Part of that is because she can listen to music, which brings about a relaxing atmosphere. Bauernhuber said he recommends listening to music.

Dewald and Knorr offered further advice for those trying to have more fun at work.

“Lighten up a little and live in the moment,” Dewald said. “Try to find joy in everything you do.”

Knorr said she thinks an actual celebration should be in order for Fun at Work Day, specifically adding food into the celebration.

“We should make a Fun at Work Day cake with party hats and stuff,” Knorr said.

This story was written by Ariana Madson. She can be reached at [email protected]