MUPD arrests student for holding gun magazines, threatening comment

Photo by Maryam Tunio

Marquette University Police Department arrested a student Friday afternoon who held rifle magazines and made a threatening comment in a Snapchat video.

The student, who held the magazines in a university residence hall room, was arrested just minutes after MUPD was made aware of the Snapchat post, according to a news release sent via email to the university community. The video was posted by the student’s roommate, who MUPD also arrested.

“MUPD was notified of the Snapchat video by a Marquette residence hall director, who was notified by a student who saw the Snapchat post,” university spokesperson Lynn Griffith said in an email. “The case will be referred to the District Attorney’s office, and the student conduct process will be initiated. Since this is an ongoing investigation, the university cannot comment further.”

The magazines in the video were deemed to be training magazines, which do not hold live ammunition. MUPD did not find any weapon in the student’s possession, and there is no active threat to campus, according to the release.

The department said the students involved may face student conduct and criminal consequences for their actions.

“MUPD and Marquette University take any implied threat to campus extremely seriously,” the release said.

MUPD did not provide additional details when contacted for comment.

This story is developing.